Saturday, November 26, 2011

National Home Education Week

This past week was National Home Education Week!
The Australian Homeschool Network put on an online conference.
I first read about it on RENELLE'S BLOG {DOVE'S REST} which I really enjoy!
Thanks Renelle for posting!


We have had a massive week here so I didn't get a chance to register until late Thursday.
I wasn't too late though! I was able to jump in on one of the online conferences that night which was a new experience for me!
JENNI DOMANSKY presented a talk which BEVERLEY PAINE had compiled.

I thought I would share some of the notes I took down that I loved.
{Credit given to Beverley Paine for all notes here:}

* The world is your classroom!
{Zippi with one of the goats at the Vandors' property}

* "I never teach my pupils....I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn"
- Albert Einstein

Some of the Benefits of Home Education:
* Witnessing the joy of discovery & the thrill of investigation

{making cornflour slime}

* The wonder of 'Ah ha! ' moments
{the wonder and awe of seeing tall towers in the middle of Sydney}
* Developing close enduring friendships with your children

{enjoying one on one date nights out with our kiddos}

* Enjoying successful learning outcomes

* "Education is not preparation for life, education is life itself"
- John Dewey

Some Long Term Goals of Home Education may include:

* Development of desireable character traits

* Building self confidence based on a realistic sense of self

{Liji gaining confidence in his swimming skills}


* Citizenship awareness and skills

* Healthy habits that promote well being

{daily chores are just a part of being a team at our place; working together for the common good of the whole family}

* Effective communication skills

{Stassi & my mum sharing a special chat and cuddle}

* Effective problem solving skills

* A well developed sense of community service

* Spiritual fulfillment

{Our children LOVE celebrating the Feasts with us. This was taken at our place during Passover this year}

* Strong work ethic

{the boys using their new tool kit recently; learning how to assemble a coffee table with dad}

* A sense of fun and ability to play

* Develop Strong personal friendships within the family

{seeing our children learning to relate to one another in a healthy way is one of the biggest joys I get with homeschooling. Of course there are still fights (they are siblings after all!) but they really are friends now too which I think is really special}

...and with others too...

{Stassi and Lily ALWAYS treasure spending time together. Lily is a very special young lady who we all adore}


{hanging out with the Vandor kids is always a special joy!}

* Participation & enjoyment of creative endeavours

{painting in the park}

* Demonstration of respect for all life and the environment

{horseriding together}

I loved this quote too:
" You are not limited to six hours a day of instruction time; you have ALL day and ALL weekend, 52 weeks of EVERY year!"

The other part of the online conference that I jotted down a few notes from was about recording.

Why Record?
* Helps our memory
* Celerates learning
* Provides a springboard for futher investigation
* Also gives proof of learning

What to Record?
* Samples demonstrating progress
* Best work, developmental milestones & new abilities (rather than every single little thing!)
* Children's questions & insights
* Photos of art, technology, projects & excursions
* Reading logs
* Children's reflections in the form of a diary (I often just get them to dictate their reflections to me and I type them into a word document. Sometimes they draw a picture to go along with their written reflections)

Anyway, I really enjoyed the talk I listenend in on.
Did anyone else *attend* the online conference this week?
You can also read Renelle's thoughts HERE.
More soon!

3 comments:

singing mama said...

How did I miss that last week was home education week?! Sounds like a great conference and really inspiring too! Loved your notes and reminders Lusi! Lily was also thrilled to be meantioned here too!! Luv Donna

Channi said...

what a great post! so glad you got to participate in the conference. I was going to as well but alas I forgot all about it! Beverley has been instrumental in our journey into unschooling and I pretty much love anything she has to say ;)

love you guys!

Melissa said...

Once again..
Love love love!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin