Friday, August 12, 2011

Shabbat Shalom Family! Praise HIS NAME! Wait, What is His Name?


I've been thinking alot about the name of 'The LORD' lately.
See, 'LORD' is a title and not a name.

I love being called by my name because it shows my intimate and less formal connection with people.
When people call me 'Lusi' or 'Lus', I love it!
When people say, 'Excuse me Mrs..." it sounds so formal and I am not so much of a fan of my close friends and family calling me by a title.

And isn't it the same with our Heavenly Father?
Doesn't He tell us to call Him by His name?

Abram called on the Name in Genesis 12:8, Genesis 21:33.
So did Elijah when fire reigned down from heaven in 1 Kings 18:24. 
King David, the man after God's own heart, tells us to call on the Name 1 Chronicles 16:8.

Then we read in 2 Chronicles 7:14 that, "...if my people who are called by my Name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land".

I've always loved that last passage of Scripture.
But it dawned on me one day that it clearly says,
"If my people who are called by my Name..."
and not who are called by my Title!

I hear about now some ask, "But it doesn't really matter does it?"
Well, God who made the heavens and the earth has a Name that He has lovingly and intimiately revealed to His children, His people and has desired that we call Him by this name.
Why would we think it doesn't matter to Him?!
To me it's like someone saying to me, "Hey Mr Fred!" And me saying, "But my name isn't 'Mr Fred'" and that person saying, "Well that doesn't matter to me, that's what I'm going to call you anyway".
Do I still think He hears our prayers? Of course! But why wouldn't I want to call Him by the Name that He has revealed to His people? Why wouldn't I want to learn that?

So where in Scripture can you find this elusive name?
Well, over the years there has been a definite move to hide the Name.
To ban the Name.
To discredit the Name.
And yet, it has survived and is there for us to read!

In fact, I can bet you have already pronounced it yourself several times!
I'm not going to go into a HUGE study about all this here but if you are keen to find out more, I would highly recommend the book HIS HALLOWED NAME REVEALED AGAIN BY KEITH JOHNSON.

So getting back to where we were...where can you see it? When have you pronounced it before?

Have you ever said the phrase "Hallelujah"?
Do you know what it means?
It is a Hebrew phrase which means "Praise YAH!"
It is used 24 times in the 'Old Testament' and 4 times in the 'New Testament'.
Hallelujah is uttered in congregations all around the world by many who possibly don't even realise that they are uttering the sacred beautiful name of Yah our Creator!
Check it out HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Check out your Bible in Psalm 68:4-5. If you have a NIV, NASB or New Living Translation, you won't see it written there. Nope. Not a trace of His Name on your page. You'll see a title but not a Name.

However, if you have a King James Bible, you'll see the following...
"Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him"

There is no J in Hebrew. 'J' was actually the last letter to be added to our alphabet.
However, as in the word 'Hallelujah' we know the word has a 'j' in it but we STILL pronounce it with a 'y' sound! Isn't that amazing that the pronounciation has survived all these years?

What about this verse in other Bible translations?
In the English Revised Version, Webster's Bible Translation and the American King James Version, you'll see the same name written there: JAH.

In the World English Bible and the Holman, you'll see 'YAH' printed in this same verse and in the American Standard Version you'll see His Name written as Jehovah.
Check it out HERE TO SEE ALL THESE TRANSLATIONS LINED UP FOR YOURSELF. While you are there, check out what the different versions make of ISAIAH 42:8.

Yah is a shortened form of the Name of God, Yehovah which, having seen it myself written in the ALEPPO CODEX and in the LENINGRAD CODEX (THE OLDEST MOST COMPLETE HEBREW SCRIPTURES SCROLLS), I now LOVE to pronouce!!!

If you are keen to see this name for yourself in the Strong's Concordance online, all you need to do is this:

Under the Title 'King James Version' you'll see it says 'Isaiah 42'.
To the right of that there's a little box that says "Show Stong's". Tick this box!
The page will reload with a whole lot of blue numbers now next to words in the passage.
Scroll down to where you see Isaiah 42:8.
It will say, "I am the LORD 3068: that is my name".
See that little blue number there '3068'?
Click on it.

When it opens up, it will have the name 'Yehovah' at the top which in Hebrew looks like this:
יְהֹוָה

And the definition that Strong's gives it?
"Jehovah = "the existing One
the proper name of the one true God"

You can just open up THIS PAGE if you want to jump straight to it!

YAH is a shortned form of Yehovah (taking the first and last sounds of the word Y and AH to make YAH which is common Hebrew practice for shortening words).

Again, like everything that I share, this is just what Yah has been teaching me and you must of course search Him and the Scriptures for yourself to find what He wants to show you.

All I can say is that I want to praise the Holy, Most Beautiful and Wonderful Name of my God which He told me to proclaim all throughout the Scriptures. 
I now see that Name is Yehovah or Yah!
And I love to pronounce it!

One of my favourite songs we used to sing in church had a chorus that went like this,
"Blessed be the name of the Lord, Blessed be the Name
Blessed be the Name of the Lord, Blessed be your glorious Name..."

And yet no where in that song does it acutally proclaim what that Name is! It's not 'Blessed be His Title" but 'Blessed be His NAME'. I'm not having a go at the writer of this song, I'm simply saying that unless we look into it, we can go on believing that we are singing His Name when really we are just pronouncing a title.

How much more intimate to utter our Creator's Name?
Blessed Be the Name, Yehovah!
Hallelu-YAH!

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Shabbat Shalom!
Love,

9 comments:

singing mama said...

I agree Lusi! There is so much more in calling Yah by his name then just Lord or God. Good post, you explained it well I thought!
Luv Donna

lusi said...

I hope it came across ok. I still say 'God' and 'Lord' sometimes but I guess I wanted to share with others who may not have heard, that these are titles and not His actual name.
To me there is something very precious and special about being able to say His Name!
Praise Yah :)
Love Lus x

Miss Toria said...

Amen amen! LOVE this book!

lusi said...

Thanks for stopping by Miss Toria! I have been very encouraged by this book too :-)
Lusi x

Moira said...

Great post Luci!
Blessed is he who come in the name of YHVH, Amein!
Shabbat Shalom,
Moira

Michelle said...

You agree with the Yah part (me too). :) So then, why isn't it Yahovah? {Is there an explanation in the book?}

We say Yahveh. To me He is Yahveh Tsidkenu. But, I don't think any of us have it right because we have forgotten His name. We'll know when He returns.

♥ Peace ♥

lusi said...

Amen Moira :) Bless you too!

Hi Michelle,
There is a MUCH better explanation in the book than what I gave! lol. From what I've seen myself, the tetragramaton of YHVH or YHWH without vowel points attached is generally pronounced 'Yahweh' or 'Yahveh' - neither of which I think are wrong to say by the way! In both the Aleppo Codex and Leningrad Codex (both of which I've seen the Name written in), there are vowel points attached to tetragramaton and when the vowel points are there, the Name is 'Yehovah'. But again like you say, it's tricky with things being hidden and forgotten over the years and I guess we'll know for sure one day!!!

I guess the thing I wanted to highlight was just the difference between how I felt in my own walk of faith before I knew He had a name and the difference between that and calling him by a title. I think Yah desires us to call Him by Name and if we understand that as Yah, Yahveh, YHWH or Yehovah and call on Him as such, I don't think that is an issue.

I'm just learning and don't at all profess to be a scholar in any of these matters - just a girl keen to find out more and more about my Heavenly Father and share what I find with others.

Sorry if it came across badly in my post....certainly no condemnation from me towards anyone at all!

Much love my friend,
Lus x

Lilacstitcher said...

Great explanation Lusi. HalleluYah! I love His name and names too. I agree. it is intimate to call someone by their name, rather than a title. I love it when songs do pronounce and declare His name. I felt the same about the Blessed be the name song, I said, "lets say it!"
I don't mind being Aunty Elisa, or Elisa to those children who know me well- but Mrs "..." seems too formal and not warm or endearing.

lusi said...

Hi lovely Elisa! I really think it shows how beautifully intimate Yah desires to be with us by revealing His Name and His character to us all! How awesome He is!!!
Love to you my friend,
Lus x

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin