Friday, August 19, 2011

The week that was...

After visiting the local Grower's Market last weekend and picking up some herbs, we decided it was time to move the herb garden. We had been reading up more on herbs and how to care for them here where it gets quite cold. The spot we'd been previously using for a number of years gets more shade than sun. I was talking to Brett about setting me up with a potting station and instead he suggested that the table we were going to use for that be used as a herb station! It faces the sun and so we are hoping to have more success with our herbs that we have previously. We also decided to leave them in pots this time. Will let you know how it all goes ;)



It was time to make up some new play dough again as the old batch had gone right off.



I'm still happy with the no-cook recipe we use. Have you got a trusty playdough recipe you like to use? Here's mine...

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cooking oil
food colouring

Method:
Mix together the flour and salt in a large bowl.
Add water and oil to the mix.
Combine well and knead together.
Break off into large balls.
Pop each ball into a zip lock bag.
Add splashes of food colouring into each bag.
Seal bag (with as much air out of bag first as possible) and get kids to mush around the colour and dough in the bag until well combined.
Add a little extra flour if too sticky.
The colour will blead into the dough the more it is used.

Other happenings from our week...

Loads of reading done (as per usual!)
Stass is reading through the Anne of Green Gables sequel still and began reading Pollyanna too this week. She learnt how to record the books she is reading complete with page number, publisher and publication date this week.
We are still making our way through our new family read aloud, 'Stories for Boys' and the story this week was called 'Speckles'.


Liji read aloud THE USBORNE NEW BABY BOOK all by himself and got almost all the words correct. He's growing more in confidence with his reading which is so lovely to see.
The New Baby (Usborne First Experiences)

I read aloud the Golden Book Classic 'A visit to the Children's Zoo'...



...which I LOVED to read as a child!
This lead to us looking up old photos of THE CHILDREN'S ZOO IN NYC BACK IN ITS HEY DAY on the internet and reading about how it was transformed in the 1990's. The kids LOVE reading about that kind of thing (probably because I do too!) Ethi asked when we could go visit the zoo. Hmmm...maybe one day!

Ethi and Liji are also continuing to read through their boy-spy series that they are loving.

Speaking of books, I got this cool books about the Human Body for only $5 from our local Angus and Robertson outlet. Very cool illustrations...


Zip got stuck into some water paints this week...


I love that our house often looks like this: paintings drying right next to our clothes lol :)


Tomorrow I'm 39 weeks pregnant!
Woohooooo!

We put together a funky SOLAR SYSTEM FLOOR PUZZLE which I scored this week for $7 and took turns to read aloud facts from it...



The SHEPHERD'S PURSE TINCTURE is ready to go now. It's a much darker colour. We just need to strain it off now.

We've been going without our microwave for a while now for a number of reasons.
Here is the little place where it used to live.
It is an excellent little space for our recipe books and our Family Planner on a plate stand...


We played a really simple game where we scrunched up scrap papers into balls and took turns at throwing them into a cane bowl we have. Stass recorded all the results and we are making a bar graph from the results together...


Doing some maths book work...


I made another pot of fresh veg stock.
What do you put in yours?

Mine today had:
all the leaves and offcuts from the celery
3 carrots
an onion
purple carrot peels
garlic salt
basil
parsley flakes



Oh and here's the purple carrot. We have seedlings to plant of these soon (this one was bought from Coles) after having read about the HEALTH BENEFITS OF EATING PURPLE CARROTS (note: we found many articles and videos about these but this was just one of them).


And Loz...this one is for you; the new look for the loungeroom :)


Had lovely phone catch ups this week with:

Bek, Elissa and my mum and dad :)

Got out to:

 an ABA planning meeting. Was lovely to see all the girls there even though I was feeling a bit out of it (headspace wise!). They are a lovely group and have welcomed me so lovingly.
Was great to catch up there with my Hazel too :)
Also got to chiro twice. My chiro is a l.e.g.e.n.d
I praise Yah for him because I know I wouldn't be walking now if it wasn't for the work he has done. Am so glad that I was lead to him.

And of course, as I mentioned in another post, got to catch up with Lori too this week along with the Vandors and Leonards.

Other learning activities included:

Playing a new reading/spelling game together which we kind of made up using some sight word cards that have different levels of words on them. Kids LOVED this game!

Liji had another dental visit and went with Brett.
We looked at this website this week called MOUTHPOWER.ORG. It was a FABULOUS website! It's set up so that the kids earn teeth with each activity and then can get a little certificate at the end (which my guys thought was awesome!). It touches on so many things from the Food Pyramid, the dangers of smoking to your mouth, to the older v's newer styles of dental tools and what they were/are used for.

I stumbled somehow across THIS SITE during the week which has a whole list of links to cool website games about the human body. We took a tour of the brain and a quiz and learnt about a guy from the 19h century called Phineas Gage who had a massive brain injury in his frontal lobe and survived and the effects that accident had on his personality. The kids were intrigued by this story and asked if we could do more research and find out more about this man. There is a WEBSITE that we found on him and the kiddos were intrigued by the photos and stories there about this man.

The kids got into gardening with Brett, played UNO, 'Sorry' the board game, Zingo and Pilgrim's Progress again this week along with backyard cricket, making heaps of lego creations and using Fiskars stencils which Nanny brought around.

Stass has been offering to help heaps in the kitchen and around the house in general which has been lovely. She showed us this week that she could cover bowls of left over food with cling wrap by herself. She basically cleared the kitchen after dinner a couple of times by herself (aside from doing the boys' regular after-meal chores) which was a real blessing.

We got our journal out again (the one just the two of us girls share) and began writing in it after a good heart-to-heart chat this week. She really needed us to write again and I really needed to listen to her.

Craft-wise, I found a great MCN diaper tute on youtube and will be trying to make that this week (if time permits!)

And I'll finish off with the beautiful Psalm Brett read aloud to the fam last night before bed:

{A psalm of David. When he was in the Desert of Judah}
1 You, God, are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water.
2 I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
6 On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
7 Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
8 I cling to you;
your right hand upholds me.
9 Those who want to kill me will be destroyed;
they will go down to the depths of the earth.
10 They will be given over to the sword
and become food for jackals.
11 But the king will rejoice in God;
all who swear by God will glory in him,
while the mouths of liars will be silenced.


Well I hope you had a lovely week and have a lovely weekend ahead!
Shabbat Shalom for tomorrow!
Much love and more to come soon,

8 comments:

Chrissy said...

Hello sweet girl! Just checking in on you to see how things are going with your beautiful bubba bump. <3 Praying for you and your precious one, especially as you near the time of meeting one another. God bless!!

lusi said...

Chrissy!!! I was just thinking about you this week! I lost your email addy and would love to read your blog if you are still blogging! Thank you for your prayers!
How is your fam going?
Lovely to hear from you!
Much love always,
Lus x

Chrissy said...

Bless...I have been thinking of you this week in particular too Lus! <3 Yes I am still blogging (but not so frequently with such a busy life this year). We are all very blessed: our amazing eldest Nick is doing first year Law and, with his strong sense of social justice and heart for service, is doing brilliantly. Only a couple of weeks and he will be 18! Our beautiful Emmy is working hard on her final year at school, teaching young ones seems to be her passion and goal for further studies next year....turning 17 a couple of weeks after Nick. We had Rites Of Passage with our youngest Alex recently, such a precious time for our family! My email addy is: mike_chrissy3@yahoo.com my blog is still privacy protected so I think I will need to send your email addy an invite which I'm always so happy to do, just sing out.
Huge hugs to you sweetie, I'm so excited about these next few weeks for you. xx

lusi said...

Oh my goodness! Nick is doing law? And Em is in her final year if school!?!? Wow! Time has flown Chrissy!!! Your guys sound like they have all grown up!
I would love an invite to your blog when you get a chance :-)
Much love!
Lus x

Chrissy said...

Nooo! LOL As much as I treasure the young people they are becoming I still have a soft heart for their baby days...I keep telling Alex he will always be my baby even though he is about to turn 15 soon. :) :) I tend to ramble and share more on facebook these days than my blog I'll admit...

Send me your email addy hon and I'll send the invite asap.

Love to you. <3

caz1975 said...

I had no idea there were purple carrots in the world.. the things you learn in blog land lol. So close to bubba now how exciting!!

lusi said...

I know Carolyn!!! Me neither until early this year! We learnt they have stacks more antioxidants and beta caratene in them than the orange ones. Apparently the original style of carrot was purple but was considered too ugly and so the orange was introduced! The things we learn hey!
Hope you are going well :-)
Thanks for thinking of me at the end of the pregnancy; you're lovely :-)
Lus x

Nat said...

Still hanging in there hun!!! It won't be long at all now till little baby E is here!! Can't wait.

Great to hear what's happening at the Austin household, always busy!!

That purple carrot is a bit cool.

Nat xx

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin