Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Preparing ourselves for our Homebirth!



{Here I am today at 36 weeks + 4 days}

Well, for the past almost-9 months we have been preparing ourselves for our first homebirth.
It has been a wonderful time of preparation - quite different to how we have prepared for the births of our other children.
We have prepared ourselves in a number of ways; spriritually, emotionally and physically.
I thought I would dedicate a post to the physical nature of homebirth - that is, what we have gathered in anticipation of being at home-to-birth so that I can remember for the future and also in the hope that it might help someone else planning their first homebirth!



We have two birth carts which are basically plastic filing cabinet drawers on wheels.
At present these are stored in the spare bedroom but will be able to be wheeled out to the main area where I plan on birthing.
However, in the event that this changes, I wanted something on wheels that could be portable and moved to say the bedroom or bathroom without having to lug big boxes all the way through the house.

Starting with what's on top of the birthing carts:
two baskets - one holding blankets and the other holding towels for baby that will be heated up...


On the floor next to the carts are the two urns we have purchased (since our hot water system is VERY tempremental - some days it heats up well and other days....hmmm not so much! I didn't want to be caught out with a water birth pool being half filled with cold water, so we bought two urns to have on standby just in case!)



So here's what are in the drawers in the birthing carts...

2 x plastic drop sheets
1 x table cloth (the red polka dot one that i think is too cute! It was the first homebirth purchase I made!)
Torch with brand new batteries!


Old towels...


Thick toilet paper + baby wipes for messes...
Plastic Garbage bags to get rid of messes...
Face washers...


Old sheets....


Debris net...
Pumps-a-lot water pump drainer thingy...


My clothes for after the birth (new pj's, underwear etc)...
Sanitary pads...
The swim top that I will possibly labour in...


Candles & holders...
Underwater camera...


There is another drawer that I didn't get around to photograph which has bubby's clothes in it and some new born nappies along with some bonnets to keep bubby's head warm...

Then in this drawer we have some medical supplies that we probably won't need at all (since Hazel will bring these things but since I've had a history of fast labours, we just wanted to have some things on standby in case we needed them ;) like gauze and saline...
In this drawer, we also have rescue remedy lollies to suck on...
Bubby's sterilised cord string...
and some more wipes...


Other things we have ready are:

The birth pool and big tarp to go underneath it...
Along with electric pump and extension cord...
Clamp & filling hose from the bath to the pool...



We have a container for the placenta to go in...



3 buckets to have on hand for messes and other jobs...



20 meter diverter hose...



Hazel had suggested that we have a semi-reclining spot to go to after the birth perhaps before I've been able to deliver the placenta in the event that I'm too cold or whatever in the pool.
We have some recliners in our loungeroom and Hazel thought up the idea to put a tarp inside of a doona cover. What a great idea! This protects the furniture but still gives a comfy place for us to sit on.
So that's what this is in the pic below...



You can see the green of the tarp here at the opening. I just stapled along most of the edges to make sure it held in place and didn't wriggle around too much...



And also for after the birth...two dressing gowns, old one to wear before I shower and a brand new soft pink one to climb into after that first lovely warm shower...



I made my first tincture too!
It's Shepherd's purse which helps if you are haemoraghing).
I made it using the following measurements:
1/2 cup shepherd's purse
to 2 cups of 80 proof (40% alchol) vodka.
(I didn't have 100 proof or I would have used that but this should still be good).
Mix through and leave to sit for at least 2 weeks, shaking it daily.

I have to double check the dosage but I know it depends on whether or not you are using fresh or dried plant material to begin with. Mine is dried organic so I would need to take more than if I was using a tincture from fresh herbs. Anyway, will double check the dosage and let you know (that is if anyone is keen to know. Or if you have made this before and could let me know, that would be grand too!)


A couple of other things we have:

* A few meals in the freezer for me for post-birth hunger and breastfeeding-boosting lunches!
* Herbal after-birth teas
* Breast-feeding teas
* All the ingredients to make these LACTATION COOKIES (WHICH ARE SAID TO HELP BOOST THE MILK SUPPLY) ready in the pantry
* A worship playlist ready to go!
* Hurricane candles and holders for ambient lighting
* Video camera/memory stick and tripod
* Verses book full of scriptures for Stass and Brett to possibly read aloud from during labour
* Our beautiful photographer MELL MALLIN all ready to go! Not only does Mell do GORGEOUS photographic shoots, but she and I have been friends for about the past 8 years and I am SOOOOOOOO excited that she will be here to capture the special moment of our little man coming into this world (well that's the plan anyway! Hopefully Mell has enough time to get here!)
* Baby name blanket that I've made
* After-birth sitz bath that Elisa kindly made me (so looking forward to soaking in that!)

Still to get/do:

* Nifedipine script (seeing my GP this week for that yay!)
* Pick up my new CABOO CARRIER FROM FRANGIPANI BABY
* Fit the baby seat

Hmmm I'm sure there are things I'm leaving off my list but these are the main things anyway!

I am reminded of one of my favourite proverbs right now...
"A man makes plans in his heart,
But it is Yah who determines his steps".
- Proverbs 16:9

Well, am off to bed now.
Night night all!
More to come another time.
Love,

19 comments:

Carmen Bruno said...

Lusi, you look beautiful! So looking forward to your delivery. May Yah continue to bless you all as you eagerly await Yah's child.
blessings ~ Carmen

Michelle said...

Lusi, you rock! You are super organized and prepared ~ I love it all! I can tell you put your heart into every thought and preparation and I pray YHVH will bless that. :) Love to you and prayers as you draw closer to the end of your pregnancy and begin a new life. :)

Melinda said...

So close to that big day... I'm so glad I found your blog before the new arrival! This anticipation reminds me of Christmas, so exciting! ;) I love how organized and prepared you are, it all looks lovely and so natural. Wishing you the very best! :)

lusi said...

Thanks Carmen, Michelle and Melinda!
Love to you all,
Lus x

caz1975 said...

wow I had no idea there was so much organisation involved in a homebirth. Seems like you have thought of everything,now just to await the exciting day!! :-)

lusi said...

Lol Carolyn! Neither did I before we started on this journey! But I know it will all be worth it :-) I've REALLY enjoyed the prep!
Much love,
Lus x

singing mama said...

Ah , preparing for birth is so much fun!! I had things so similar to you, clear containers with clip on lids, each one full and labeled - labour things , birth things , after birth things and kidlets things for during labour. It was so great because when I went into labour everything was there in it's boxes and organised. It is a lot more work to prepare for a homebirth than a hospital birth and I think that is part of Yahs plan within homebirthing, teaching us to plan and prepare and take ownership of bringing these new precious life's into the world.
Home birth is AMAZING and the difference can not be fully understood until you have gone thru it, I'm so excited for you that you are going to embark on this journey with baby E!!!
Luv Donna

lusi said...

I love that the journey of preparing has been so beautiful and different this time around; more casual but also more intense in some ways! Even if it doesn't end up in the way that I hope it does, it has still been a BEAUTIFUL journey so far!
I love what you said too Donna that it helps us to prepare for bringing a new life into the world.
Love Lus x

Enid said...

Oh this is perfect Lusi!! I wish I was that organized back then. I did save my plastic matress cover and the same old sheet for birthing. I still have her :)

We planted trees with our placentas...with our three unassisted home birth we got our supplies here http://inhishands.com/ ..I wish I have thought about a water birth. I can't wait to hear all about your experience.

Much love and praying for you daily!
Enid

lusi said...

Thanks Enid! You are a treasure!
Much love to you my friend!!!
Lusi x

Lilacstitcher said...

Well done Lusi!

The Shepherds' Purse Tincture I made was (1:2) in 35% Vodka dosage as 40-60 drops (2-4 dropperfuls) immediately after birth, more if required after 15 minutes.

I took it straight under the tongue, but they usually suggest to take it in a small amount of water.


You are ready and set to go! Love Elisa xx

lusi said...

Thanks for letting me know about the tincture you made lovely Elisa! I think the one I made is a teaspoon full under the tongue but I still have to double check it (thanks for the reminder to do so!) It's not ready to take just yet but if bubba holds off for another couple of weeks it will be.
Hope you are well mate.
Love Lus x

Resources said...

Don't forget to email me that list

mmmmallin@iprimus.com.au

XO

lusi said...

Will try and do that today Mell (in between chiro and doc appt!)
Thanks for the reminder mate :)
Love Lus x

Lilacstitcher said...

Yes Lusi, I was thinking around a teaspoon for the Shepherd's Purse Tincture with your recipe.
I brew mine longer (6 weeks or more), but you can even use a cup of tea if the need arises- and Cayenne Pepper is good to have on hand as well, also can increase the effectiveness of other herbs. You may not need much if you are good with iron.

Love Elisa x

Ava said...

Lusi, You are an inspiration. Reading your lists leaves me in awe of how organised you are. Have a wonderful home birth experience xx Ava

lusi said...

Thanks Elisa! Yes, the original tincture I was going to make sounds more like yours; 1:2 and letting it steep for 6 weeks but then I realised I might not make 6 weeks and went searching for a recipe for the tincture that was strong enough to be effective (well hopefully!) but could be used within a fortnight. I have cayenne pepper on hand (I use that it my strep throat remedy) so will keep that in mind too. Thanks mate for those tips!

Hi Ava!
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment. I hope to *see* you around here again!

Love Lusi x

Nat said...

Wow hun, you're SUPER organised!! I'm sure it will all go perfectly!! Reminds me I really should get myself a hospital bag packed soon - our little man could really arrive at any time now! Praise God so much that we've made it to 30.5 weeks already!!
Love to you all, and you're looking fabbo!!

lusi said...

I'm so praising God with you honey that you have made it over 30 weeks - that is SO FABULOUS!!! We keep praying for you and of course for a miracle for little Seb.
Love you Natti x

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin