Monday, March 21, 2011

Homestead Barn Hop...Making Bath Fizz + My first crack at making homemade dishwashing liquid


I recently stumbled across AMY'S BLOG AT THE HOMESTEAD REVIVAL, (where I got the fabulous homemade deoderant recipe that I've been using and is FANTASTIC!!!!) I think through ANDI'S BLOG (thanks Andi!!!). Anyway, I'm joining in for the first time playing along with the HOMESTEAD REVIVAL BARN HOP.

This week, we made some bath fizz!
I've been wanting to start making some scented bath fizz as gifts for people. With bubba #5 on his/her way, I have hplan to be a little more organsied with a stash of homemade cards and gifts ready to be given away at a moments notice! We took the chance to kind of explore the science behind the reaction too and made our hypothesis' about what we thought might happen.


Recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup Epsom salts
1/2 cup rock salt (actually i think i'll put in one cup next time)
food colouring
essential oils of your choice (i used lavendar)
1/2 cup bicarb soda
1/4 cup citric acid

Method:
Chuck all the ingredients into a ziplock bag, take out the air, seal.
The mash it all around with your hands and get the colour throughout the salts.
Fill your sink, put in a tablespoon and see if it fizzes.
Pop into some nice containers which a cute ribbon or piece of twine and there you have a nice and cost-effective homemade gift for someone.

The science behind the fizz (as best as I could tell and find out! lol!):
The Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and the salt (sodium chloride) and bicarb soda (sodium carbonate) chemcials all react together. When you add in the 1 part of citric acid to 2 parts bicarb, they make a cool fizz! (I kind of gleaned this info from a couple of different places as I was looking for easy recipes).

All the kids joined in the making and testing of it!


And the finished product...



The kids wrote up a little science sheet about the experiment (one i made up a couple of years ago and we are still using it and they really enjoy their 'science' experiments!)

I also had my first go at making some dishwashing liquid. I was going to try the castille soap recipe but tried the lux flakes recipe instead. It didn't turn out too badly. Am hoping to keep trying and be able to cross that as another thing off my shopping list that i no longer need to buy and can make myself for our family.


The Recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup soap flakes (i used lux)
2 litres warm water
1 Tbsp glycerin
1/2 cup white vinegar
few drops of essential oil

Method:
In a large non-reactive pan (i got one especially from the op-shop for this. cost me $4 which I'm using only for the purpose of soap-making), place the soap flakes and water.
Put the pan over medium heat and then reduce to low once it has heated a bit.
Heat the mixture on low and stir regularly.
Add the glycerine and mix well.
Remove from the heat.
Let it cool and sit for about 2 hours.
A jelly will have formed.
Add vinegar.
Blend with a stick blender, place through a sieve to remove excess suds and pour into a squeeze bottle.
Well, that's what I did anyway and it seems to have worked! lol :)

We've also had seeds delivered this past fortnight (purple carrots and loofas although we can't plant these yet). I am hoping to get my herb garden in better shape this week if the rains holds back.
Well, more another time.
Love + Blessings,


12 comments:

singing mama said...

Oooohh that bath fizz looks so cool! Def something lily and I will do these this coming week!!
Luv Donna

Kristin said...

I love making homemade recipes for bath and home!
Can't wait to try the bath fizz, thanks so much for sharing!
Kristin

Jill @ The Prairie Homestead said...

Wow- I've never tried either of these things, but you've inspired me! The dishwashing liquid looks great! Thanks so much for sharing this with the Homestead Barn Hop! Hope to see you again next week :)

Mommy Set Free said...

Lus,
Homemade dishwashing liquid is the "missing link" in my cleaning recipes!!! Thanks so much for posting this! Now...I'll have to watch for Lux. (Never heard of it before. I wonder if it available in the US.) Please let us know about the other one you try too, and which you like best.

Much Love, p

Amy @ Homestead Revival said...

Welcome to the Barn Hop! Love that blue bath fizz! I love soaking in salts and epsom salt, much better than bubble bath because it doesn't dry out my skin - and it's so dry here! Thanks for sharing the recipes and linking up!

Andi said...

Lusi....
:) Loved this post! I want to make some bath fizz and is Lux like Borax, or is completely different. I made my own dish washer soap...so I was curious!

lusi said...

Thanks lovelies for your comments :-)
Pamela and Andi, I'll try find out a US equivalent to lux (its not borax though) will let you know what I find!
Love lus x

Sarah Slaven said...

Hey Lus what do you mean by non-reactive pan?? We use home-made cleaning products except for dish washing and laundry. Keen to try yours out.

lusi said...

Hi Sarah :)
Non reactive pan is a stainless steel pan. There are other types but when i was researching and trying to refine the recipe, most of them called for his type of pan so that the chemicals don't react with it as it cooks.
Hope that helps. Let me know how it goes!
Love Lus x

Tara said...

Thank you for sharing these recipes! I've saved them to use! Gorgeous photos too.

Faye Henry said...

Sounds wonderful ... Nice ideas for my gift pantry..
Blessings..

Amy said...

Great recipes! How much essential oils do you use for the bath salts? Is it just till it smells good with some trial and error or do you have any guidance?

Thanks!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin