Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Getting Well Naturally


Most of my readers will know that 5.5 years ago now I had a splenectomy; a removal of my spleen due to a recurring life-threatening auto-immune blood disease that I was diagnosed with just after our 3rd child was born. Most will also know, since I've spoken about it on here over the years, that my immune system doesn't function as well as a regular system should. I do have (miraculously) another mini spleen growing and so far this has helped and not hindered my overall health - praise Yah (God) for that! Needless to say that when I do get sick, it can turn sepsis very quickly. OPSI - Overwhelming Post-Splenectomy Infection is a very dangerous thing. The last time I had bacterial tonsilitis, I was in hospital for 5 days on a drip, away from my family and have HUGE doses of IV antibiotics.

So you can imagine that I not only want to stay as well as possible and out of hospital (who doesn't!?!) but I also want to know how I can get well using natural things if and when possible. I do not think western medicine is evil - i would probably be dead now if it wasn't for western medicine! But I have also experienced the benefits of natural medications throughout my life and know that they work! I have taken leaves in Fiji (which we can't get here in australia) to deal with severe and chronic menstrual pain. My mum would give us all kinds of naturopathic concoctions as children from mecurius bin iodide to bella donna, from herbs and natural resources like onion soaks, garlic broths, lemon and honey drinks.

Anyway, long post short ;) I was coming down with a TERRIBLE case of tonisilits this past weekend. My throat was incredibly painful very quickly and my glands were hard and sore. By the end of Friday night I could almost not swallow anything. I did take some pencillin (which i have to keep here on hand) but it didn't do anything (usually takes a while for it to kick in and in the meantime i was getting worse). I felt terrible and was in a great deal of pain.

I remembered reading on CARMEN'S BLOG OVER AT PEBBLE CROSSING about a herbal remedy for a strep throat and went over to check it out. Seriously, if you suffer from a sore throat or tonsillits, you should do yourself a favour and go check out Carmen's post about why it works! Thank you Carmen a million times over for posting this!



This worked for me (and my dad too who also had a sore throat that day) and within 24 hours, it was completley gone.
This will be my favourite default sore throat remedy from now on!
Just for my own records...

* 1 Tablespoon raw honey
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 4 cloves garlic chopped as finely as possible

* Mix honey + pepper + then add the garlic.
* Take a 1/2 teaspoon every 1/2 hour (chew and don't wash down with anything!)
Warning: VERY hot so be discerning about giving to your children.
Once again, a BIG thankyou to Carmen for introducing this to me.
Now i've gotten rid of the sore throat, anyone have any good natural remedies to get rid of a head cold?

8 comments:

Mommy Set Free said...

Halleluyah!

Enid said...

Well this is great! Now I know!

Sumara said...

Chai tea with honey in it has been helping me today! Mostly, I feel that a cold just needs to go through the system, so the best thing is rest (yeah, ha ha, I know! but I actually managed 9 hours' sleep last night!), lots and lots of water and blowing your nose a lot. Flush it out, I say. :) Also for stuffy noses, a hanky with eucalyptus oil to inhale is good.

Something I learned recently - if you (or the kids) have a fever, put a cool washer on the head and a warm one on the feet. Not sure why but it helps way more than just one cool one.

That throat remedy looks terrifying. I'm not sure I could stand the taste or heat, but it sure sounds effective! Shame I don't have any of the ingredients on hand today.

Much love. xo.

Anonymous said...

So glad your sore throat is feeling better. I am not sure I would be brave enough to eat that mixture but glad it worked for you.

I also like using natural methods and have had lots of luck with herbal treatments for a few different things in the past.

I have 2 books here which I have learnt a lot from. The first one is called Natural Remedies A - Z and the second one is called Positive Health with Herbs.

From Susan McGuire (smiles1965).

Mae said...

HI,
I just came over visit your blog!
I sen the somment you lft on mine, so sweet of you.
I do hope you come back often!!

I will have to try your sore throat remedy!! I am in to natural things as well.
My brother has been using cyahnene pepper alot for him and his kids, but they just take a spoon ful dry!! Your mix, sounds much easier to take.
I will have to tell him!

Mae

lusi said...

Hi thanks all for your comments. Sumi you had some great tips! I have been using eucapytu on a hankie at night for sleeping. That helps.
Susan I think I have the first book (have to check now!). What's the second one like? Hope you are well!
And Mae, welcome! Thanks for stopping by. Hope your brother finds this one useful too!
Love to you all,
Lusi x

Anonymous said...

I am trying our recipe at the moment and I have to say it is not as bad as expected... I am just not sure if anyone wants to talk to me tomorrow because of all the garlic!!! :-)
I hope it works

Cookie said...

Shalom Lusi!

FOund you on Pinterest while looking for a homemade sore throat recipe. This is my all-time health problem and I'm getting another bout of it this time of the year. I'll be trying this recipe tonight.

Anyway, Blessings to you and yours always!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin