Friday, September 17, 2010

Learning about what Yom HaKippurim really means :)

Last night, we all sat down to the table to a vegetable soup that I had made for the celebration of Day of Atonement. As we sat down, one of the children asked, 'why are we only eating vegies? where's the meat?' And I respnded with, "well, dad is going to read out the passage of scripture now that tells us why we are 'fasting' from meat this Shabbat. We aren't going to eat nothing; we'll eat vegies and fruit and drink water as our fast".

So my awesome husband read from Leviticus 23. He looked up and said, "Um actually it doesn't say 'fast' in there - it says to 'afflict your souls'."

I said, "Oh it must be in Leviticus 16 then". So we read that.

Um, no.

It wasn't in there either.

So where did it say 'to fast' on the Day of Atonement in the Torah (instructions) Abba Father lovingly gave us? I was sure it was there! Somewhere?

So I finished my soup and got online to the Blue Letter Bible and typed in Lev 23 and began reading through till i got to the phrase 'afflict one's soul'. I clicked on the Stong's number above it and found it linked to a Hebrew word called 'anah' which means to humble, to stoop, to become low, to be bowed down.

Nowhere did it mention fast.

Ok, so what? Fasting's not a bad and evil thing, it is in fact Scriptural (in other places) and helps us focus on God and His Word. Yes. This is true.

But here is what I (and Brett) have a problem with: We sincerley thought this was a scriptural Torah command. We thought that Yahweh had himself instituted a fast on this day. Why had we thought that? Well in my Bible it has a footnote saying at 'afflict one's soul' - means 'fast'. And as you can see, from looking at the root of this word, it actually doesn't.

Well, this morning I had a very quick look at my friend Stephanie's blog post which was titled 'Yom HaKippurim' and she linked to THIS PDF WHICH I FOUND A REAL BLESSING TO READ TODAY.

Then we were skyping with our friends Jono and Christine after chatting about these very things ONLY last night and they said we should read it too. (We had a lovely time of internet fellowship with them this morning delving deeper into the Word!) So I downloaded it and it really confirmed many of the things we looked at last night. I had even thought of the 'fasting' in Isaiah 58 that God speaks about and the true fasting He requires of serving others, humbling yourself to care for the homeless and clothe and feed the poor. I couldn't believe that then the author of this article talked about these exact things.

I just LOVE that He is teaching us daily new things; blowing our minds! Getting rid of preconceived ideas  - even new ones that we have. We want to know His truth and live that out. We want to feast on His Word (His Word to us in Torah instructions and His Word to us in Jesus!)

So, we decided not to fast.
Instead we are still talking about  how we are to 'afflict' our souls (notice it is the soul not the body only that is to be afflicted) and how we can serve others. We have a prayer box to pray for needs in our family, the local community, the nation of Israel and others who do not yet know our Beloved.
Please hear me that I am not condemning those of you who choose to fast. That is NOT my intention at all. I just wanted to share my heart and what we have found out, in case, like us you too might be wondering if fasting on this day is scriptrual. As I said, there is purpose in fasting and each of us should be lead by Him in these things! May each of us be free to worship Him!

Lots of love + Shabbat Shalom!
Lus x

8 comments:

Christine said...

we were in our pyjamas ;)

Stephanie4Him said...

Lusi- He is so faithful to guide in His ways when we seek Him with our whole heart!!
Shabbat Shalom to you sweet sister in Yahshua!!

How fun to be in your jammies and we able to fellowship...awesome!!

Michelle said...

Hi Lusi!
It was such an awesome blessing meeting you at Abby's last weekend. I have been reading your blog and it is so inspiring. Thanks for sharing your life for the edification of others! Your passion really shines through.
I hope you are having fulfilling Day of Atonement. I am curious what your thoughts are on Isaiah 58 and the reference to Atonement in Acts 27:9. My email is mamamoondance_at_gmail.com (replace _at_ with @).
In Love & Peace,
Michelle xoxo

singing mama said...

Lusi, I found this all so interesting!! I had not had a peace about fasting and thought it must have been my own reluctance but when I read yours and Stephanies blog posts, it made sense!
The hardest thing for us at this time is trying to wade thru what is man made tradition or understanding , what is Yahwehs truths and what the original Hebrew actually said, not the watered translations. We desire so much just to follow what Yahweh says, as I know you guys do too. Thanks for this! Love to you :)
Luv Donna

Mommy Set Free said...

Amen.

lusi said...

Michelle, it was such a JOY to meet you too at Abby's! Sorry it's taken so long to write this reply. It was lovely to chat and share together that night and I hope we can do more of that!

I LOVE Isaiah 58 and I think from my understanding so far, that by the time this was being proclaimed by Isaiah that the 'fast' had become a part of the Yom Kippur celebration; perhaps it had become an 'extra' kind of 'add on' thing that they were doing, I'm not sure. I think that is why Yahweh (God) was telling the people through Isaiah that He was not happy with their outward appearance of fasting when they were neglecting to show the care, mercy and love to Him and others that He was desiring.

Isaiah 58 says "Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for a man to humble himself? (v5)..."6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke,to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe him,and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD (Yahweh) will be your rear guard." (v6-8)

I think from these verses that what He is saying is that He is desiring the 'anah' (hebrew in the Lev 23 context for denying oneself) of the heart. 'Anah' we learnt means to humble oneself, bring down low...this is what Yeshua (Jesus) did for us by 'becoming a little lower than the angels'(Heb 2:7) humbling himself to come and carry the burden of mankind's sin and becoming the sin offering for us.

I think it is really interesting also in the part above that I quoted that he mentions the word 'yoke' twice. In Matthew 23:4 Jesus says, "For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers." He is talking about the hypcrisy of the Scribes and Pharisees and it seems that the 'heavy burdens' he is talking about are the extra 'fence laws' that they were expecting the people to do. In Matt 11:30 He says that His yoke is easy and His burden is light (i'm interested that He doesn't say, 'I give you no burden or yoke' but to me He is talking about the Torah instructions of God and that they are easy and light, unlike man's extra add ons. And in Matthew 23:34 he is pronouncing the 'woes' and says' Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." Again, I'm seeing the same language here as in Isiah 58 - that they are doing the right 'outward' things but neglecting the law, judgement, mercy and faith. He says here that the two can work together but that the work without the heart is wrong.

So I guess, for me, I don't see anything at all wrong with fasting. I just thought it was a scriptural command for this feast but I personally don't see it that way anymore. I think others should be free to fast and others not to.

I might be wrong on all this and I pray I will not lead anyone astray in this as it is just my journey with Him and I know from experience that many times we think we have an answer on something, then He is in His perfect wisdom shows us a different way - His way. So it is my prayer that He will show me His way in this and all things.

Well, that was a longer reply than I expected mate but hope that comes across ok. Thank you for posing a great question and may He lead us all in His Truthful ways.

Much love to you dear Michelle,
Lus x

lusi said...

Michelle, it was such a JOY to meet you too at Abby's! Sorry it's taken so long to write this reply. It was lovely to chat and share together that night and I hope we can do more of that!

I LOVE Isaiah 58 and I think from my understanding so far, that by the time this was being proclaimed by Isaiah that the 'fast' had become a part of the Yom Kippur celebration; perhaps it had become an 'extra' kind of 'add on' thing that they were doing, I'm not sure. I think that is why Yahweh (God) was telling the people through Isaiah that He was not happy with their outward appearance of fasting when they were neglecting to show the care, mercy and love to Him and others that He was desiring.

Isaiah 58 says "Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for a man to humble himself? (v5)..."6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke,to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe him,and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD (Yahweh) will be your rear guard." (v6-8)

I think from these verses that what He is saying is that He is desiring the 'anah' (hebrew in the Lev 23 context for denying oneself) of the heart. 'Anah' we learnt means to humble oneself, bring down low...this is what Yeshua (Jesus) did for us by 'becoming a little lower than the angels'(Heb 2:7) humbling himself to come and carry the burden of mankind's sin and becoming the sin offering for us.

I think it is really interesting also in the part above that I quoted that he mentions the word 'yoke' twice. In Matthew 23:4 Jesus says, "For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers." He is talking about the hypcrisy of the Scribes and Pharisees and it seems that the 'heavy burdens' he is talking about are the extra 'fence laws' that they were expecting the people to do. In Matt 11:30 He says that His yoke is easy and His burden is light (i'm interested that He doesn't say, 'I give you no burden or yoke' but to me He is talking about the Torah instructions of God and that they are easy and light, unlike man's extra add ons. And in Matthew 23:34 he is pronouncing the 'woes' and says' Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." Again, I'm seeing the same language here as in Isiah 58 - that they are doing the right 'outward' things but neglecting the law, judgement, mercy and faith. He says here that the two can work together but that the work without the heart is wrong.

So I guess, for me, I don't see anything at all wrong with fasting. I just thought it was a scriptural command for this feast but I personally don't see it that way anymore. I think others should be free to fast and others not to.

I might be wrong on all this and I pray I will not lead anyone astray in this as it is just my journey with Him and I know from experience that many times we think we have an answer on something, then He is in His perfect wisdom shows us a different way - His way. So it is my prayer that He will show me His way in this and all things.

Well, that was a longer reply than I expected mate but hope that comes across ok. Thank you for posing a great question and may He lead us all in His Truthful ways.

Much love to you dear Michelle,
Lus x

lusi said...

Sorry these are such late follow up comments but somehow I didn't quite get there to follow up! Anyway :)

Stephanie, you and your family are a HUGE encouragement to me. Thank you for your kind words. Much love :)

Christine, thanks for letting us see you in your pj's! I had a beauitful pj day this week for our 'extra' sabbath when we celebrated Sukkot. Lots of love :)

Donna, I love walking this journey with you mate. We just want Truth in His Word, being led by His Spirit through Yeshua to the throne room. And I know that is your heart too. Bless you mate :)

Pamela, bless you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin