Tuesday, September 29, 2009

She writes words for my soul...

"Establishing my household as a place in which the greatness of God and a devotion to him is lived out each day has given me focus. Loving my children and nurturing their hearts and minds while training their characters and leading them to know the Lord and his purposes, has satisfied my soul's need for purpose"
- Sally Clarkson from THE MISSION OF MOTHERHOOD pg 29.

Thank you Sally! It IS my mission + ministry and I *heart* it :) She writes so beautifully.

I am also reading another of her books right now called THE MINISTRY OF MOTHERHOOD. She has written two of my other all time fave books - 'Season's of a Mother's Heart' and 'Educating the Whole Hearted Child'. Sometimes I can almost feel and hear my heart singing when i read her words. Sometimes I cry because I know that despite these being my deep longings, i fall short pathetically. I laugh when I read her words at other times because she describes me and my kids to a T! I am encouraged when I read what she has to say because I hear the Lord encouraging me + strengthening me.

Now speaking of my fam, here are some random shots from around our place lately of stuff we've been up to.

Stass + I enjoyed a 'date night' together last week sipping on hot chocolates + marshmallows while she made a mini book + i made some cards...


Zippi enjoyed some chicken + vegie soup...
Brett + Elijah went on their 'date night' to the cafe at the school on Friday night...

Liji feeding Zippi a top-up. I just LOVE the look of adoration on his face as he was feeding her and chatting with her...


The kids decorated some foam sun visors with stickers and things and we planted some flowers they'd chosen from K Mart...


We found a nesting masked lapwing (plover) recently a couple of doors down and realised that the mumma was sitting all the time on the ground because it was her 'scrape' or nest which has literally been scraped out of the ground.



Well last week the mumma hatched her little egg and look at the little gorgeous chick (hard to see but oh so cuuuuute!)...

Other signs that spring has sprung - lavendar in our garden (+ picked by liji for almost anyone who drops by!)


Hmm i thought it was spring but here is proof that it is still cold! Hail/sago/snow fell here on the weekend! Only a few flakes but still...can anyone say brrrrr?....




Stass has used a computer program to teach herself how to play chess. Then she taught the boys. I seriously was like what the? I have NEVER been able to learn to play this game (trust me- ask Brett how frustrated i get!!!) BUT now I have even learnt how to play! Yep we have gotten out the trusty board and really played and thanks to Stass - for the first time i actually GET IT!!!! :) So proud of her for persisting and teaching us!

Books sitting on my stool at the mo...The Big Rescue Bible which is what I read from for the Bible read a louds, Swiss Family Robinson, Organic Living + 10 Years of Australian Country Style...



Ethi + I went out on our date night on the weekend. We went to a little cafe with candle lit tables, ate icecream and he wanted me to read him the 'Little Red Caboose' lol :) So cute - we took it with us from home. He had a baby cino too (a real treat b/c liji can't have them when we go out normally the kids get just chips at a cafe but since it was just the two of us i told him he could have one as a treat and he was stoked!) We drew on together, chatted and just enjoyed each other's company :)


Just another sign that spring has arrived - lots of butterflies around when...
the kids helped Brett wash the car...


monkeying around trying to avoid dad's hose...


This is what it looked like here on Monday morning - i found some sheets that I made into a book form full of activities for Day of Atonement...


Check out these cuties - i love Zippi's little smile here :)

Wall in the new homeschool space with some of the kids canvas artworks...
And to finish off, this is a gorgeous photo i took today of Liji who came to give me a posy of flowers he'd just picked especially for me. Loving all these little moments :)


5 things I am thankful for today:
1. The writings of Sally Clarkson
2. Fellowship with new + old mates
3. Date nights
4. Seeing the kids love for each other growing stronger
5. A half hour free to update my blog :)
Love Lus x

11 comments:

Homeschoolmum4Christ said...

Hi Lusi,
It just goes to show that if children really want to learn, they will find out what they need to know.

Well done, Stass! Now what was the name of that computer programme?
Blessings,
Jillian
<><

Peta said...

Hi Lusi... I just love all your random 'stuff' it makes me smile - and also makes me realsie how much I 'dont do' with my kids!!! thanks babe - and do me a favour - NEVER EVER say you " fall short pathetically" - you are a true inspiration my dear - more than you will ever know....

But I do still miss all your gorgeous music!!!! maybe I should send you some discs and you can burn me some of your gorgoeus music!!!

THANKS - for filling my heart with warmth!!!!

lusi said...

Hi Peta!
Thanks for stopping by mate - hope you and your fam are all well!
Firstly, I don't want to make you or anyone feel like you don't do enough! I just want to share what is happening in our lives all of which I thank God for :) Hope that makes sense. Of course, life is not *perfect* here and never will be but we are all works in progress and God is working out things in every single one of us. He inspires me each day with my parenting and helps me when I fail.
Sorry about the music - will try and put on some more soon :)
Love to you Peta!
Lus x

Shazz said...

i had to smile at your story about Stassi teaching herself and then the boys how to play chess Lusi.
like yourself, I have NEVER mastered chess and it frustrates the heck out of me that i can't get my head around it.
but Mark taught Kait how to play chess probably 2 years ago now (she is now 13) and he has been trying to beat her ever since.....LOL
bit like me teaching her how to play backgammon - she mastered that in next to no time too.
so happy to see you and the family are well and happy. take care xo

lusi said...

hi ya Shazz!!!
Thanks for your comment - I can't believe I am actually getting the hang of it + that the kids are too! They even *get* little additional rules that I never knew about that Bret has taught them + they have really picked these up + applied them in the game too!
Backgammon - Stass was asking about that one too...might get onto it!
Shazz, I'm so glad you popped by again b/c i DID get your last email - thank you so much for taking the time to share your story and thoughts with me. The next day, before I had a chance to reply, we lost most of our hard drive - including emails :( So sorry but i was touched by what you shared. Love Lus x
Jillian, sorry i miselad you; it's not a separate computer program - it's actually a program on our computer already. It shows the path that the kids can take and while i orginally thought 'they are not going to actually learn to play it themselves!' but because they are getting the hang of the allowed moves, they can play it now on the regular board without any help. I hear them correcting each other, 'No Liji you can only take a *prawn* (giggle giggle) when you move it one ahead and one to the side'. Love it! Hope that helps anyway mate :)
Love Lus x

Nat said...

Hi honey!! I just love seeing these big long posts about everything that's happening with the Austins right now. You've inspired me to take Jai out tonight for a date night (we were going to go out today but will run out of time, and I'd never though to take him out at night!) Eli is having a movie date with Greg this Saturday, not sure about Lani yet! They are SUCH a great investment into our kids, right!?

Love you all xx

Chrissy said...

Sally's words are just beautiful aren't they, so inspiring. The Gift of being a mum and raising children, WOW, could life be any better? :)

Love to you Miss Lusi....
xx

lusi said...

Nat you are right mate - such an investment into their lives for the future hey :) Have fun on your date night with Jai! Nat - you'd LOVE those books too hey if you ever get a chance to purchase them. I'm only borrowing mine but i reckon you would L.O.V.E them so much! Love you x
Chrissy - it is a gift hey even during the struggles, the tears, tantrums, chaos and ALL the hard stuff; it is still a gift and one that i feel blessed to have too. love you right back mate xox

caz1975 said...

Lusi I always find such inspiration in your blog. I love the way you talk about your kids and the way you clearly embrace your home and family as your ministry, there are days when I forget to do that and lose sight of why I'm doing what I'm doing!! Will have to get my hands on some Sally Clarkson to read, Donna has recommended her to me before as well. Keep up the great work!!!

Foster Fam said...

I totally need to get a copy of those books! I often struggle with the day to day grind of being a SAHM. Thanks for the encouragement Lus. Love you to bits!
~S

lusi said...

Hi Sar and Carolyn,
Bless you guys! Those books i reckon are really awesome hey :) I still struggle with the 'daily grind' Sar but I think since embracing my role as mum and seeing it as a ministry, as an incredibly important and blessed job I have, I am able to see the joy in it much more often now.
Love to you both :)
L x

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin