Monday, June 28, 2010

This week has been jam packed...

...some weeks kind of pass by and not much seems to happen...+ then there are weeks like this one!

Can I also just say, you know you live in a cold part of the world when there is still frost outside (in the shade) at 2.12 pm!

Because we do alot of natural learning, I love that blogging becomes a way to record what we experience in this kind of homeschooling-lifestyle that we have been so enjoying.
To many, the things that I share here will seem boring but to me they are a way to remember the things we've been up to. I love looking back through a visual reminder of our journey too.

This week we've (and I say 'we' 'cause man I have not learnt so much in I don't know how long since we have been homeschooling!!!) been learning about Crimson Rosella's. Each of the kids had a chance to photograph one when they spotted them visiting in our backyard (birdhouse roof is being reclamped by our fearless Principal Austin!) From right to left, Liji's photo (top left), Ethan's photo (top right) Elijah's spotting of a cockatoo (bottom left), Stassi's Magpie spotting (bottom right)...




Zippi was mesmerised by the growing number of 'biiiids' coming to visit...she kept waving at them outside...
Playing a game of hide and seek with Stasso...

For the Rosella lesson, I made up a fact sheet for the kids using THIS website and I read aloud to them while they coloured in THIS little image of a crimson rosella in the correct colours (or as close to!)

We're also learning how to play paper battleships this week (while at the same time teaching about the x + y axis, horizontal + vertical positioning + graphing - love that the kids just soak up this kind of stuff while they are having fun playing something like battleships...really cool to watch!) This came about after the kids had a go at playing online battleships. Didn't realise they'd get into it like they have. Went up this arv to Kmart (toy sale) and bought a $15 electronic version of battleships. Thinking they are going to LOVE this even more than the online version....we'll see.

Ethan redeemed a 'coupon' he'd earnt (we've been using a coupon reward system since the beginning of the year and its been working really well) which was a date night out with dad. He wanted a photo of them before they left...



and then he asked for one with me too...cheeky cutie pie... They went out to play some arcade games + check out some local art works which are on display at the local cinema foyer. Liji + I went there not long ago for our date night + of course Eth wanted to experience the same thing after hearing his bro rave about it! lol :)

Stass had a beaded bracelet break this week so we kept the beads and I taught her how to sew them onto a doiley that we sometimes put over a water jug to keep flies off it. She has sewn 6 beads so far...


Cutie pie baby + dirt in the sand pit + old saucepans = deliciousness...

While Zip was hanging out getting dirty, Liji was creating a 'rock pool' in the centre of the old buckled trestle table...

The kids all had a crack at making beef meatloaf with me the other night..."eeeewwwww - feels so gross!!!!" was all they kept saying!


our girls having a dance together to some worship music (um yes Zippi is still in her pj's at 11.30am - love the relaxed nature of homeschooling; especially on the days when you are just chasing your tail!)...

Zip wanting to have a go at sweeping....so cute - of course she didn't actually sweep anything up but it was WAY too cute not to photograph. We really feel like having chores for our kids (and us!) are a way that we can work together, build relationships, show that we value working hard and practice learning the principle in Col 3:23, 'that we work heartily in all things as though we are working for the Lord and not for man'.
Liji spontaneously made this massive treasure map this week...

night time uno games...

While a nasty gastro bug swept through our house last weekend and I was recovering, Brett lit our fave candles + got out the massive lego box for he + the kids to play with while I tried to rest. So happy to see the back of that bug I can tell ya!...


Of course there are not always ONLY highs...cleaning up the up-chuck-yucks, bad attittudes to correct (mine first and then the kids' too), painful impacted wisdom teeth, sad news that overwhelms, hard decisions to make, a list of things that aren't done when you realise you are half way through the year...BUT for me the challenge is to really practice Philippians 4:8...

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable,
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy,
think upon such things"

Now I'm not saying we don't acknowledge our hardships - of course we do! The Bible + history are full of people who cried out to God in honesty to say, 'please change this for me!' or 'please help me!!!' or 'where are you in this God?' We have hard times too BUT for me the overall difference is, that I tell these to my Creator first and foremost, then I try and dwell on the things mentioned above. Now I can't even do that in my own strength or ability - it all comes from Him! I fail at it all so miserably SO often...yet He is such a God of grace + mercy...of fresh starts + second chances. Thank you Yahweh!
We watched some of the Jim Elliot story as presented by the Torchlighters series. We were all really moved by it in a very deep way.
The kids have been working hard on maths + had a focus on spelling. We've been reading through our fave Bible story book again as a family. No new memory verses this week though. Boys had a very basic intro to fractions, they are still LOVING the Starfall website. Read a little more on Farmer Boy (second book in the Little House on the Prairie series). Stass read asked if she could read aloud to us all over dinner and brought a version of the Good Shepherd to the table. She chose another chapter book in the Cul de sac kids series from Koorong when we stopped in there this week and finished it that arvo. She loves those books.
We've had some AMAZING times of spontaneous fellowship too this week...times with Amanda, an amazing time with the Hogarth's after Bible Study that went late into the night, time with the awesome Clan Matson before they jetset off to SA. Miss you guys, thankful for you guys, love you guys.
Zion giving a goodbye kiss to Brett...
Stass + Reb...


Josiah + Ethi...
The two Elijah's...
All our munchkins...

Having a mad time on the tramp...
The two youngest chilling out with the car...

The two awesome men of God... Me + Reb...


And one of the latest things to happen this week is that Zip has worked out how to climb up to the homeschooling table - aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh; nothing is sacred anymore! lol! everything has had to go away so she doesn't try and rip/eat/suck on/draw on/etc the kids' work!!!!!!!!!

Finally stuck something in the big white frame on the wall. It's been there for over 6 months...empty! I edited some of my current fave photos in picasa + added some simple text + just popped them in the frame with a bird cage transfer + one of my acryclic birds that I designed from the Buzz and Bloom range from way back when...



The kids found it really tough saying 'goodbye' to Michael F (an excellent leader from the kids ministries at church who is getting married this month to his sweetheart Katie)...the kids love him...
I praise God for my busy yet beautiful full-of-life kind of LIFE!
Had a great skype texting convo with Anth this week. Miss you mate. So much.
5 things I am thankful for today:
1. faithfulness of my God + of many people in my life
2. photos
3. brett getting me some mint chocolate + a radox bath soak
4. the hope i have in Jesus, my saviour that can never be taken from me no matter what
5. blu tack

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin