Thursday, June 11, 2009

Our new kind of normal...


We are adjusting to our new kind of normal and on the whole it has been beautiful. Now when I say beautiful, I mean it's not without its challenges. Interrupted sleep on its own is a massive challenge isn't it? We have been going through a lot lot of new challenges recently with the older kids and it has been draining to say the least. Brett and I have been really tackling it head on in prayer but it hasn't really let up. I know God will come through for us but in the meantime my flesh is tired of the fight of it all. Yes, we will persevere but that doesn't detract from how difficult it can be sometimes.

This past week, I've cleaned up after 2 very vomitty boys, been on a 6 hour round trip to support Brett in basketball, went snow hunting with all the kids and my mum + dad, had not much time to myself which I do find tough, rescheduled for homeschooling and so much more...but I know these are very precious days right now and I'm continuing to ask God for His beautiful strength (and patience! man I am so lacking in patience and I'm really begging God to give me more of it) for me as we walk through this. I have to remind myself how precious these days are and that I'm not wanting to wish them away because I know I would look back on these days then with much regret.
That's not to say its not tough in the right here and now.
It is.
But it is beautiful too :)

Only the Lord would have known the kind of challenges and joy these kids could bring into our lives (check out Zippi smiling in this snap below...She smiles with her whole body; it starts in her eyes, moves to her little shoulders and her whole body curls up with it - so sweet!) They are vivacious and lively, firey and sweet and I love em all to bits! When they push and push me though I don't think of them like that, I ask God 'why did you make me a mother?' I throw my hands up and tell him I can't do it.
Because on my own I can't.
I do believe though with all my heart that He can and will mould and shape me (and them) to be who he wants me (and them) to be.
Refining is such a painful experience.
Beautiful to see him bring forth beauty from ashes but painful none the less. (Remember Isaiah who had the coal burnt to his lips?)
Whoever thinks this Christian walk is a cop out, an easy little crutch (like I used to think!) has never really walked this road saying to Jesus, "all to you I surrender. Whether I live is to Christ and to die is gain". My stinking flesh just doesn't want to die! Oh let me live only in you and for Lord! That truly is the cry of my heart deep down under the rubble of self.

Now, I am choosing to focus on the joyful and beautiful things that the Lord has brought into our lives so here are some of the things we've been up to on this journey of life together (in no
particular order...)

smiling zippi and the loves of my life...



the boys making teddy bears picnics as they eat their own morning tea indoors with the colder weather now here...



Fresh tulips from my very thoughtful mate Rachie after she'd heard I'd had a shocker of a day a week or so ago...


The 'new kind of normal' has meant that I am finding the boys' drawers like this a little too often...


and so have had to do a bit more teaching of 'fold in half, arms together, tuck the arms in and in half again!' Ethi actually has the hang of it quite well now! At least I thought he did until the next morning ;)


Opening presents sent from beautiful thoughtful friends Bek, Pete & Nomes, Gail, Carol - THANK YOU all!...


Rearranging the playroom - culling a huge majority of toys into the garage and allowing the kids to play with a select few boxes/books and then rotating them when we feel it necessary. It now looks more like this...



Reverting back to our 40 minutes silent reading time every day has been good for the kids and for me too...


watching state of origin together (brett and i love watching the nrl) and brett prepared this gorgeous little platter of treats for us to have together...

We celebrated the FEAST OF WEEKS - PENTECOST together for the first time this year and really enjoyed learning more about God's most awesome character as a family. We got together with our dearest friends Heiko and Lori and shared a meal together and prayed. I printed off a cool quiz about the feast and the kids were paired off with an adult and even formed their own 'team' names! They were so cute! Brett read aloud from the Bible about the Ten Commandments and I read about the Holy Spirit coming on the believers when they gathered together to celebrate the Feast of Weeks all those years ago, just as Jesus had promised. The kids had some cool colouring in sheets that they did while lunch was being prepared -one sheet was of Moses receiving the law and the other sheet was of the tongues of fire on the heads of the believers at Pentecost. I made these little stones with hearts on them with a verse attached to help us all remember that the law was written on stone tablets and now it is written on our hearts!




ethi and brett taking the quiz together being team 'penrith panthers'...


heiko and liji being team ' bulldogs' and lori and stass being 'the love hearts' :)

Cuddles for Liji with Zippi...


We've been into Sydney (2hours away) twice in the past fortnight and enjoyed a beautiful Indian curry with my parents in there. We went to check out the VIVID - WHERE SOME OF THE CITY WAS LIT UP...






I

This gorgeous girl has just hit the 9 pound mark and is now out of 4 oooo clothing. She is also teeting already and the poor bubba has swollen gums and looks like she's going to cut the bottom two front teeth any day now...


Daddy loves his little girl...

and he's not the only one....

Ventured out on a snow-hunting trip as i mentioned during the week (didn't find snow mind you but did find these little things that i liked...)


Liji made this little mouse house for his pretend pet "Harry the rat" complete with soft felt inner lining and a cap with cut up pieces of plastic straws as his food...

Daily stuff that doesn't seem like any special but i want to record it as just part of the here and now in the life of our fam...


Picking lemons from our tree with Pupu...And despite being covered in cradle cap, being in pain from teething and a mouthful of thrsuh, she still manages to crack out a winner of a smile. This one is not the best photo of it but it really is a gorgeous little smile...

I learnt how to make special Fijian pancakes that my grandmother in Fiji makes. My dad came over and gave me a special cooking lesson which was so lovely...




God has been showing me lots of little new things in my walk with Him that I'm really excited about - truths from His Word, lessons from relationships I have, advice from seasoned believers. One thing is about how differently we are made. It's not a case of wrong or right. I wind down in a different way to the next person. I love a hot bath to relax but you may not. I don't like coffee but I know people who can't start their day without it - its not right or wrong, its a creation thing. God wired me (and you) in a particular way. I need a certain level of organisation in my home - that's not me striving to be perfect; its just that God made me in a way that likes order. It's not a right or wrong thing, its a creation thing. Like how I receive love and how I give it. Like that I love a certain style of worship. That I am a morning person. Like the fact that I enjoy talking more than the next person or that I LOVE certain foods. Like the fact that I keep all the cards I'm given because I am a word's girl. It's a creation thing. And in learning to understand that God created me in a certain way, I am able to more freely love others even when they don't do things the way I do :) Again, its not right or wrong, it's a creation thing.


Well, I'd love to say that I'll post more frequently here but the reality is that time is scarce right now and that's ok. I still love to share with my family and friends here but it will happen if and when i get a chance.
I hope you are all well!


5 things I am thankful for:
1. Being able to stand together with Brett on areas of discipline -loving the Alpha Marriage course :)
2. Safety during lots of travelling lately
3. Being able to teach stuff to the kids - Stassi learning to blanket stitch and seeing her enjoying it!
4. Zippi sleeping in chunks during the day
5. Psalm 27
Love and blessings,


8 comments:

Karen L said...

Love your post Lusi, love catching up with all the special things you do as a family, but I was really encouraged by your thoughts on "the creation thing" and how we are all wired so differently. What a wonderful celebration of God's goodness to us - the diverseness of each of our characters and the opportunity it gives us to love and accept each other. God bless you guys. I'm praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Love reading your family adventures and your take on everyday challenges. Hang in there, the road does get easier.
Anthea

mrs boo radley said...

Such a beautiful family and so many loving arms to hold that baby!

rvavic said...

Oh sweets... so good to read all that you've been up to... you are an inspiration and your children are adorable.

I almost had a teary when I saw the photos of them with the personalised affirmation art... BLESS them, now very sweet are they!!! Esp Ethi's face!

I am sure we will have time to talk again real soon LOL !!

Miss you, Love you... just wanna hug *You*
Love to all your clan.
Bxo

Jasmine said...

So happy to see you blogging again :) Thanks for sharing so many insightful and encouraging words. I've been growing through a really difficult season with parenting too - it's not always an easy road (the growing part), but definitely a necessary one. One thing that's helped me lately is to get back into scrapping after a LONG break. I knew there was a good reason I was always so behind on scrapping the kid's baby picks lol. It's been such a blessing to be doing them now and looking back on some really good times. It's given me a much needed new perspective and renewed hope :)

Love you and your beautiful family.
Hope Zippi's teething isn't too bad - mine were early teethers too, Lachie's first ones came through at 16 weeks and Lily's at 13 weeks.

Love you heaps!!!
Jas xx

singing mama said...

As always, a beautiful deep insightful post miss Lusi :) I REALLY struck a cord with the creation paragraph at the end! I think it is far too easy to get caught up in feeling we are inadequate as we like/enjoy/cope in different ways to other believers. It was the reminder I needed that it is ok to cope differently and need different things to the next believer to make it thru my day.

I know I keep saying I will call, it is just pure madness here at the moment and I am hanging on by the skin of my teeth at times. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I so so so would love to catch up soon!!!

Love Donna

Carolina said...

I'm amazed at how every time i read your blog no matter how long it's been between posts or between my visits i always come out with something. You always inspire, encourage and help me see a new way of how God does things that i have missed. Thanks so much Lusi and praying that your days get easier (as you know they will) and richer with love and peace in your home. By the way... Psalm 27 is my favourite of all the psalms so a big thumbs up for that one :)

miss~nance said...

I loved cathcing up with this post Lusii. Hugs to all

Love & blessings

Gail

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin