Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Be an overcomer in God :)

I'm discovering something about motherhood, homeschooling and having a larger-than-average family that I didn't think too much about before being in this stage in my life. And this is it...

PEOPLE EXPECT ME TO COMPLAIN.

It's amazing how many comments I have had like, 'I think you're crazy'. 'How are you going to manage?' 'Don't you get sick of your kids being around you all the time?' 'How could you possibly be looking forward to the birth?' 'Have you ever heard of a television?' Alot of comments are said in jest and many are said by loving mothers themselves. Others are quite subtle like, 'Bet you'll be glad when this is all over' or 'You must hate the end of the pregnancy - i know I did'.... It would be easy to agree with them. So easy. But I can't and I won't.

You know why?

I believe that being a mother is a gift. It is a priceless treasure; and I believe it is one of God's highest callings.

Now before you think that I've never had a negative thought in my mind about motherhood, homeschooling, child rearing, birthing, etc please let me put your mind at ease. I have. I am human so of course I have. Like every other woman I know, I need some time out. I enjoy having Brett take the kids out and about. Sometimes it is so full on and jam packed that it is easy to feel overwhelmed. During intense times of trial and weariness I have asked the Lord why he thought it would be a good idea to make me a mother or married for that matter. I've wondered if I'm cut out to have a child with special needs, to homeschool or even look after a home.

But I know that I am because He has allowed me to walk this path. Not only has He allowed it, but He has equipped me for it and designed me for it; setting me up with everything I could possibly need to be the best wife and mother I can be. That doesn't mean I always am but He has made a way for me. He has given me so many promises in His Word and I wanted to share three with you here that have deeply encouraged and inspired me in my role in my life right here and now...

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philipians 4:13).

Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances - for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).


Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is— his good, pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:2).

It's this last passage of scripture that I've realised holds so much truth in my situation at the moment. There is a pattern that people see. A pattern or mould that perhaps they think I should fit into. I must admit that before I had kids, I would have seen a young mum with 3 small charges and one on the way and thought 'how is she going to cope?' I would have thought THAT because it is the world's pattern to believe such things. But God's Word tells me not to be conformed any longer to the pattern of this world but to be transformed by the renewing of my mind! True mind renewal comes through the soaking in of God's Word.

God loves motherhood. He designed it. He destined me for it. He helps me in it more than anyone else does or can. He has given me the desire and believes that I can raise my children to be hungry for Him, to love Him, serve Him, adore Him, preach Him and live Him out to the world. He has given me that responsibility which I share with Brett and we want to be able to do just that with our children.

Perhaps it's because we didn't think we would ever welcome another little one into our family from my womb. Maybe its because the doctors told us it shouldn't happen that we appreciate this opportunity so much. Maybe as I am getting a little older that I realise the miracle and fragility of human life.

All I know is that everytime someone asks me about how I'm feeling, what I'm thinking or expecting or how I am coping, I have an opportunity to speak truthfully and lovingly about God's plan for me and my family.

I won't lie to them and fake it. If I'm tired I'll say, 'I'd love it if you could pray for some extra energy right now' or when people have said, 'You're going to have your hands really full' I'll say, 'Yes I will but I'd rather have my hands full than have empty hands'.

This week I've had a pinched sciatic nerve and I've asked for prayer for that and have seen God answer those prayers. Thank you Lord! It's important to be able to relate and be real with others. My dear friend Sharon had a really tough end of her 5th pregnancy with a hospitalisation in the final fortnight. When I spoke with her about how she was doing she said how she felt really ill but that she was so glad that God had allowed her not to have the baby yet so she could focus on getting better. She also shared about how good it had been to have her eldest daughter run the homeschooling program for a day with the little munchkins (and of course with dad looking on). She shared how when she began to feel afraid, she called on the name of Jesus and how the Holy Spirit had brought scriptures to mind during those dark moments. See - she was real. She wasn't saying, 'oh i don't know what the problem is, I feel A-ok!' No that would have been lying. But she pointed me to Christ through even her moments of trial. We can all do that. It's a choice.

Some days I've posted about how much of a trial its been to have a child with Autism who has very unpredictable days. Just yesterday we took the kids out for a lovely warm cafe treat of hot chips and when we got home, Liji and I began a writing exercise. He totally lost it towards the end and had a 15 minute meltdown. Not a tantrum. A meltdown. Parents with kids on the spectrum understand the difference. It is full on. Once upon a time, that 15 minutes would have been an hour. There is improvement but it can be tough still. God is on the throne and is helping us each day, just has he has with this pregnancy.

So how I could I grumble and agree with what others tell me I must be feeling and then miss the opportunity to share the joy and miracle with others about how much I love being pregnant? This may be the last child I have. The Lord knows. But I am determined to testify to the wonder and love, the gift and preciousness of what it is to be a mother.

I try to be as real as I can. And this is one way I can be real with you. To encourage you not to accept what the pattern of the world is in your life right now. You can be an overcomer in God!
Perhaps its in your work place, or in your home life, in a family situation or in talks with friends. There may be an opportunity to testify about how God has helped you through. If you don't see one, ask Him to show you and renew your mind through His Word.

I will continue to do so for my own life.

And you know what, even if this delivery doesn't go to 'plan' or is less than what we had hoped for, I know that God is with me. He has not forsaken me. "For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does" (psalm 33:4). May He be glorified through it no matter how it turns out.

"I sought the Lord and He answered me. He delivered me from all my fears". Psalm 34:4

5 things I am thankful for today:

1. Catching up with Reb and the boys yesterday
2. Rain!
3. Gumboots!
4. Knowing that the Lord is always faithful in everything he does
5. The kids playing together inside in the warmth of our home

Love and blessings,
Lus x

10 comments:

Rebecca Vavic said...

A HUGE reason I adore you so so so much my dear friend Lusi Lou... is that you are not a whiny-poo!!

Seriously, who has time??... or the energy??... okay, sometimes I do. SOME have the inclination to do it ALL THE TIME... drives me nutz!

Thing is the more you focus on the negative... the more negative will present itself.

If you focus on all your blessings, all the joys... all those magic (yet very ordinary moments we often take for granted)... then you are really grateful. Then you have created yourself a wonderful life... as God intended.

Some people use whining as a competition, "oh no... my life is much HARDER than yours"... I just think to myself, yep, you can have that one! I get comments from time to time "how do you do so much"... "cant wait to see how much you get done once your third babe arrives, two under two years"... yadda yadda.

Then if you only speak of of the good in your life, you are misconstruied as bragging... not to mention the fact that you are just so freakin' proud of the life you have created, that perhaps you never really believed would be possible...

You go girl.
I just loves you from your head to your toes and your beautiful familia!

Hugs
Bxo

Leanne said...

You are absolutely right!! Motherhood is a gift and I love having this special time at home with my three, while #4 is on the way!! I am enjoying this sooo much that I let all the negative comments go right over my head. For now, I'll go about my life enjoying every moment, cherishing my kids and others, who make certain comments, can go about theirs...

All the best in the coming weeks Lusi! Prayers and thoughts are coming your way! xxx

Jasmine said...

You're such an ispiration Lus. This is exactly what I needed to hear after a couple of "flat" weeks. It's too easy to get bogged down by negative remarks - often from people who have no idea what your life is really like. Why wouldn't you want to focus on the postives from our Father who knows us better than we know ourselves :)
God Bless you my friend! Enjoy these final precious days/weeks of pregnancy.
Love Jas xx

Amy said...

Awesome Post Lusi :)
Quote from Bec
"Then if you only speak of of the good in your life, you are misconstruied as bragging."

Bring on the bragging :P My kid knows what a square is after 3 days 'teaching' WOO HOO...

Julie-Anne said...

Hi Lusi,

Thanks for this post. It will bless another mom to say, yes, there are struggles but God is my strength and I have seen Him do great things for me... or even, it didn't go the way I had hoped but there was such a peace in surrendering to the Lord's plan and seeing Him work through that... Because motherhood IS from the Lord, such a precious gift that IS hard but worth it... the ultimate training ground for becoming more like Christ and I am seeing Him build character in me through motherhood... even when I feel like I've ruined everything!... God shows up and shows me how He is molding me! The best part is that He is so good that we can Hope in Him for the here and now! :)

Love,

Julie-Anne

Cherishing Young Biblical Womanhood said...

This is a great post! Sometimes it is easier and quicker to give into people's "poor you" attitude. When you say anything close to, "I love my busy life" you are doomed for an hour of explaining. I pray more women rise and become women who do everything with grumbling or complaining. Thank you for stopping by my blog for a visit. It is so nice to meet you. Oh, and I love how organized you are! God Bless you. Your new friend,
Kristal

Cherishing Young Biblical Womanhood said...

This is a great post! Sometimes it is easier and quicker to give into people's "poor you" attitude. When you say anything close to, "I love my busy life" you are doomed for an hour of explaining. I pray more women rise and become women who do everything with grumbling or complaining. Thank you for stopping by my blog for a visit. It is so nice to meet you. Oh, and I love how organized you are! God Bless you. Your new friend,
Kristal

Foster Fam said...

Lus,
Thanks for the post! I too hear the same comments over and over. My favourite has to be "don't you guys own a TV." What person in their right mind would want to spend more time watching the TV and less time with their family? Don't get me wrong, we do enjoy the idiot box but family comes first!
You have also confirmed in me my desire to home school our kids in the future.
Thanks for being honest!
Love you
~Sar

Scrapsister said...

...or to extend on the TV thing...When asked about whether we have a TV or not - having four children - we often reply

"Yes we do, but what would you rather be doing" *big grin*

It's rare they say anything else after that! Yes, it's not particularly appropriate for all occasions but it is fun to say ;)

Tara said...

Thank you so much for posting your thoughts here lusi... this is something that has really spoken to me. I know that in my pregnancy with Jos I often gave into the desire to complain. God has been working in me since then, growing a less negative spirit.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin