Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Making of An Album

"Then Yehovah said to Moses, "See, I have chose Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts - to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship" - Exodus 31:2-5

At the beginning of last year, I shared some songs that I had written with some special friends at a ladies Torah retreat. They had encouraged me to record these songs and share them. This on its own was an answer to prayer as I had had many of these songs in my heart for quite a long time but didn't know if I should share them or not. I wondered if anyone would actually want to listen to these or had these just been meant for my family and myself alone? Having these lovely friends (Neen, Donna, Channi, Jas, Michelle, Dallas) be moved by these songs encouraged me to pursue an avenue to have them recorded.

I spoke about it with my sister who records music with her partner. They offered for me to go to Melbourne, stay with them for 5 days and record the songs. However, the week that we were ready to book the ticket, Zippi fell into a really full on pattern of waking around the same time every single morning in the wee hours. 1.17am. Awake. Screaming. Inconsolable. I couldn't leave Brett to look after the kids on his own for the week AND have to deal with sleepless nights and a screaming 2 year old on top of it all.

I was bummed.
I had really wanted to go and record them.
Wasn't Yah leading me to do this?
Then how come the door shut so abruptly right when I thought it was all going ahead?

I was sharing this with my precious friend Lori one day at her place.
She said that maybe we could just record the songs at their place since they had good recording equipment. I hadn't thought of that! Wow! That would be wonderful!

So we began a journey together.
Me, Heiko (Lori's husband) and Lori.
We prayed that Yah would help us put together the songs.
Lori and Hekio both have amazing gifts and skills in arranging music and playing various instruments along with recording it all!
I had written and the songs and started to put down alot of the vocal tracks. I also played some instruments on the album like the mandolin, guitar, ukelele and piano.
We worked together as often as we could for a month.
At the end of the month we were amazed at how much had been accomplished!
Yah had guided us by His Spirit the whole way, just as he had with Bezalel in the above verses.
What an amazing God He is!

Then, later on in the year, many things happened in both Heiko + Lori's life and our life too.
We had to put away the album for a time.

Again I was reminded by a scripture from the Torah about how Yehovah led the Israelites.

"At Yah's command the Israelite's set out, and at his command they encamped." - Numbers 9:18

"Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out. At Yah's command they encamped, and at Yah's command they set out. They obeyed Yah's order, in accordance with his command through Moses". - Numbers 9:22-23

He led us in this way too.

Time is inconsequential to God. It wouldn't have mattered if it was going to take a month, six months, a year or more to get this album completed. He had that plan from the start and the more relaxed we became about that, the easier the whole journey has become.

Now, after almost all the recording has been completed, the grand mastering almost done and the album artwork underway, we are excited about the final stage of the production of this work...getting it out there. In my spare minutes, I'm researching the best distributors, the cost of CDs and layout designs. The plan is that we will have the singles and the entire album available on iTunes, through Amazon and other outlets too to make it as accessible as possible.

Well, that's kind of a brief of the making of this album. I'll keep you updated when it's ready to go! In the meantime, thought i'd share some snaps taken at our last recording when we fixed some stuff up in production.

 
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

MommySetFree said...

i am looking forward to it!

lusi said...

Thanks Pamela! X

Andi said...

Me to! Me to! Me to! Great shots also!

Moira said...

I cant wait to hear it! These Scriptures come to mind about a NEW SONG:)

Psa 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Psa 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, [even] praise unto our God: many shall see [it], and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

Psa 96:1 O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth.

Psa 98:1 [[A Psalm.]] O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.

Psa 144:9 I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery [and] an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee.

Psa 149:1 Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, [and] his praise in the congregation of saints.

Isa 42:10 Sing unto the LORD a new song, [and] his praise from the end of the earth, ye that go down to the sea, and all that is therein; the isles, and the inhabitants thereof.

Shalom Shalom,
YHVH bless you,
Moira

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin