Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Pregnancy, Labour and Birth of Sophie


Earlier this year, I was so excited to find out that our dear friends Ben and Jas were going to be expecting their first baby! We watched on as they went through all the exciting stages of pregnancy and one day Jas asked me if I would like to be present at the birth of their little girl to take photos and support her. I was honoured and over joyed to be apart of this incredibly special event.

A week or so before Sophie's birth, I took a couple of very impromptu photos of Jas' lovely pregnant belly when they called in here one night.


This next one is my fave I think...




The expectant couple!



Then it all began happening and I was called to the birth at about 12.20am on the morning of Boxing Day! Zeeki and I made the trip down (about 45 mins away) and he didn't even cry once! Actually for the whole 2 days I was there, he was an angel! So quiet and calm which was SUCH an answer to prayer! It meant he was happy, I could photograph and be there for Jas too...total blessing!

Many people were praying for Jas and Ben during this time. Yah answered our prayers for a safe labour - praise Him! He was completely in control of the whole situation and His presence was really there. It was beautiful.

Anyway, here are some of the shots I took during the various stages of the labour at home...





Gorgeous Midwife Hazel arriving
{and on the wall behind are the verses from Isaiah 43 that Jas had printed out and coloured}...


Jas' lovely sis Tess was supporting Jas throughout the labour at home...



I accompanied Ben and Jas on some walks around the block (Zeeki in the ergo!) which they were doing to try and help ramp things up a bit...



I like this one; Hazel supporting Ben who is supporting Jas...





Ben was a fantastic support the whole way through...


Capturing the moment...


Setting the atmosphere...


There was so much love and support in the room...


...and JOY too!


Things started happening as Jas moved into 'the zone'...




There was prayer, worship and scripture reading during the labour...


...and kisses too!




The decision was made to transfer into hospital due to bubby's positioning and some other factors and Jas continued labouring like a champion there.

On Tuesday morning, a minute shy of 7am, little Sophie Renee entered the world!
Here she is back at home with her mum and dad...



And my first cuddle with little Sophie!


Oh and this is the feeding/modesty cover I made Jas as her shower gift.
She chose the materials and I sewed it up for her.
It's reversible too and she's gotten use out of it already - yay!



We were blessed to have this little fam visit us on the weekend with Sophie only 5 days old!


Here she is on my table!


And here she is in her mama's arms!


Well, I was really honoured to be there, to try and capture some special moments of a special time in this family's life.
Thanks Ben and Jas for letting me be a part of Sophie's labour and may Yah continue to pour out His love, grace and joy to you all!
More to come,
PS: Oh and a special thank you shout out to my awesome hubby for holding the fort with our 4 kiddos for the two days I was away and thanks also to Katie and Michael for shopping and dinner! You all rock! Mmmmwah!

9 comments:

nettypike said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Praise YHVH for the blessing of a little girl who will be taught to love, obey and honour her Creator. Blessings to the parents who will raise the next generation of torah keepers. Beautiful :)

Nat said...

Sooooo beautiful!! I'm a wee bit jealous as I'd LOVE to be a support person for someone else's birth!! (thinking yes maybe I need to start studying midwifery myself!)... what a beautiful experience and a beautiful dear little girl . Congrats to Ben and Jas!

Andi said...

Oh wonderful photos Lusi, and I wanted to say I loved your honesty and heart in the going to the beach post.... much love to you my friend!

Phyllis said...

Aww! Hurray for Jasmine! I remember when she had just announced the news to everyone on FB; so exciting. :) Glad to see sweet Sophie in the world now. Loved her hubby's support shirt ;) ~ Phyllis

Channi said...

you did a great job with the photos Lus! looking foward to meeting little Sophie when we can :)

caz1975 said...

Such a beautiful experience to share in :-)

singing mama said...

Sooo beautiful!! Jas just looker so beautiful in labour!! You could feel the love and joy and support thru the photos! What a privledge and joy to be witness to Jas labour!! And Sophie looks soooo cute! Luv Donna

SmileyLovesSunshine said...

Lusi, what an honour and how beautiful to be part of the support team and photographer. about 25 years ago I was support person for a young mum's 3rd delivery about 1 year after my daughter was born.

Chrissy said...

I've always longed to be a support person too for a family during this oh so precious time, you are so blessed Lus and so are Jas and Ben. xx Welcome to the world little Sophie. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin