Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Boy's Room Makeover

Well it's not really a full on makeover but I've added some bits and pieces and thought I'd share the ideas with you (in case they come in handy over at your place!) I love finding cheap + easy storage solutions and hope that sharing these might help someone else out there looking for ideas to help keep their kiddos rooms a little organised.

Disclaimer....as always, our house is NOT a 'perfectly' clean house - far from it! It is a well lived in family home. Yes, the photos I've taken today are with their room clean but often it looks like a bomb has exploded in there! Brett and I like having a place for everything in our house, even if everything is NOT always in its place! That's what we try and teach our kids. At the end of the day, we try (most days) to get them to take responsibility for their own spaces and shared family spaces in the house and put things back in their place. Often it's a bit of a cat fight to get them to do this (not literally!) but we believe it is good training for them to know how to keep house, be a good steward and care for their belongings and also so that the boys may grow to be a blessing to their wives! Also, I'm wired in a way that I LOVE to organise and decorate our home (i know others aren't but I really like to share on my blog what I am into!) Of course it is always important to strike a healthy balance; clean rooms to us should not and do not take priority over our relationships. These are always the most important things to us.

So, with all that said and the disclaimer over (lol!), here are some snaps of the boy's room...

View from their door...
These wooden bunks were a gift from my parents a couple of years ago. They come apart as separate beds too; a configuration which we've used previously...

We orginally bought the blue sofa for a song for the learning room but as we needed more space, we moved it into the boys' room as a special place for reading. We all really love nestling up on there with a book for a snuggle in the afternoon sun.
This is kind of the same photo but you can see their little car mat in this one. I got that for $10 from Ikea a while back. They have a transport kind of theme happening in their room right now. They had kind of outgrown their Pooh Bear baby curtains so I opted for some plain blue ones that were on sale from Sam's Warehouse a while back. The curtain tie backs are green spotted ribbons from the local sewing supplier and cost $3 for the entire amount needed . The tall boy dresser we sourced from a second hand sale about 3 years ago for $25...


On their back wall, they have some framed prints. I got the frames from Ikea also ages ago (they no longer stock these but as you'll see in a sec, I just painted some raw ones to match them and that just as easily does the trick of adding some colour). The prints are just silhouette designs that I found in Google Images. I googled 'silhouette transport images' and hit 'Images' and up they came. I copied and pasted them into Word where I could check they were the right size and alter them a little if I needed to. Then I just printed them off onto normal printer paper. So simple. I reckon they cost me about $10 (if that) for the set of frames and the printing.



The boys have had these removeable transfer stickers up for the past like 4 years but they really like them still so they are staying. They cost about $10 back then. And on their dresser is a little canvas easel (picked up for $1 and I painted it black) with a book I picked up for them from an op shop called 'What Little Boys are Made Of'. It has the most beautiful illustrations inside...


Next to their dresser is a bookshelf that a mate of ours made ages ago and kindly gave to us (thanks Greg!) I found these collapsible fabric boxes at Go Lo for under $5 each. They contain a heap of books for the boys to devour...


On top of the bookshelf? A grid iron and figurines from Texas (Ethi LOVES grid iron!), lego car creations, remote control car that I think is broken but they just can't part with yet (!) and a special rock they found and thought was cool!

In the background (above) you can see the name plaques I made the boys (below). They were raw frames I painted as I mentioned earlier. I found out how to write their names in Hebrew and the Hebraic word meanings of each of their names. Both names are found in the Scriptures and have special meanings which we really want the boys to grow to know...


And above the bookshelf? A little touch of transport that the boys really love...



These planes were given to the boys by Aunty Dee (my lovely sis) who had gotten them as a a store promo when she worked for a retail company. They are made of cardboard so are not too heavy to hang. I attatched ribbon to each one and hung them from the ceiling using white 3M removeable hooks (removeability is a MUST in a rental!) The boys really love these...


View from their couch...
Blue clock: $4 from Go Lo...


One of my lovely blog readers, Stace, asked a little while ago if I would share about how we keep the boy's toys. Well, we try and use the underbed storage as much as we can. We bought clear crates, sorted the toys into piles, made some stickers (with words AND pictures - very important for my boys!) so they could learn how to pack things away. We've been using this system for a year or so and it works really well for our fam...



Next to their couch on the wall is this photo board. The girls have one too filled with photos of them at different ages. The green paper is a special letter Liji got from his mate Jonah that he can't bear to part with...
Cork board cost about $3. The towel hooks cost $2...


So there you have it! Our boys' room :)


Of course we are set to welcome another boy shortly so we might someday see all three of them sharing! That'll be lovely too ;)

Well, more soon,
Love

15 comments:

Sally Martin said...

Your boys room looks great! I have been really enjoying seeing all of your organisation makeovers lately, they have been inspiring me in my own journey with trying to organise our home.
Congratulations on your baby boy to-be! May number 5 continue to grow healthy and strong.
Love Sally

lusi said...

Thanks Sally! Lovely to *see* you here - it's been WAAAAAAAAAY too many years hey! Hope life is going well for you and your fam.
Much love and thanks for your encouraging words,
Lus x

kathy said...

I haven't checked your blog for a while because I thought you were on a blog break but there were heaps of posts to catch up on lol!
I love your room makeovers. They look great!
Your looking great too! A nice littke pregnant belly! :)

Leah-in-the-Kia said...

You have motivated me! I started in my boys room yesterday, but didnt get far! Jake ( my eldest) is in China at the moment with his school, so I want to get into it while he is away.....wish me luck!

Peterson Party said...

Were you reading my mind? Just the other day I relooked at your girls rroom and wondered if I had missed a post about the boys room! Love what you do with your spaces! Can you come decorate my house???? :)

lusi said...

Thanks Kathy Leah and Cara!
Leah all the best with your project! And Cara I'd LOVE to come play at your place lol!!!!!
Love to you all,
Lus x

faelih said...

I think I prefer the "well lived in family home" over the "perfectly clean house". Maybe because I've never experienced the 'perfectly clean' one before, LOL. ;).

Anyway, love the room! It looks straight out of Pottery Barn magazine. I'm not sure if you are familiar with that, but it is an American company that is very highly regarded for their interior design/niche/style..... :).

faelih said...

Oh! (Sorry for another post). I meant it as "high praise" on my part! You have a wonderful sense of style!

lusi said...

lol Phyllis! Thanks for your compliment - I knew what you meant and you are very kind!
Much love to you and yours,
Lus x

Traci said...

Lusi, you have an official invite to my house and share your gift of decor!! I love what you have done in your house. Very creative and cost effective (which is my biggest issue!) Truly, I am impressed and inspired! Great job:) You go girl!!
Love and blessings,

Michelle said...

awesome, Lusi! Very boyish and bright. =)

Stace said...

Lusi,
I havent been on again - taking some time out + working on a new blog with some lovely ladies {will share the link with you when its ready! x}

LOVE LOVE LOVE The Boys Room!!!! <3

Thankyou so much for remembering to share the pics of your toys / storage!!!!

I dont have storage under their beds but I really do need to re-look at how mine are stored as again, things dont get packed away and Mummy is left with frustrations of HOW TO TEACH THIS!!! :(

Im just catching up on your posts now, so will comment some more along the way ;)

Take care!!!

Much Love,

Stace xxx

Nat said...

The boys room looks fabulous!! My boys are sharing again, but the room is very worse for wear. I never quiet get around to finishing off any decorating ideas I have, lol! I love the br!!ight colours, my boys will also have the same colours when I get around to decorating proplery - possibly when we find a new place to live, nothing like moving for some motivation. I need to get the under-the-bed storage happening too!! Love it anyway!

lusi said...

Thanks for the kind comments guys! I really love decorating on a budget; it challenges me to really think about fun but cost effective measures to make each room its 'own'.

Nat, I know what you mean about moving too- sometimes a clean slate really helps to inspire hey. Love you hunx

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful room, full of great ideas! Some which I will be using for my little boys room I'm about to undertake a makeover in. Thankyou so much for sharing, these are very very clever ideas. I LOVE their names in the corner walls, they are adorable and such a beautiful personal touch. Your family is very lucky to have such an inspiring mummy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin