Thursday, December 17, 2009

Have a heart...of F-U-N!

Have' view¤t=


The last few weeks have been very challenging. God has been doing a work in my heart about the way I speak to my children. It's been pretty good all in all this year until about a month ago. Then it just started getting crazy! The kids' attitudes to each other have been really upsetting us. Lots of aggression, lots of dummy-spits, lots of crying, lots of whinging. In the past, God has really enabled me to get through it with patient talks but this time round I feel like I've been failing miserably! I was getting so frustrated! I'm fully aware that there are seasons in life but man this season has been here way too long and it's been a toughie. Having a child with Autism has affected our family in ways too that we may never have otherwise known. And that's ok but we need time and stratergies (new ones often when the old ones cease to be effective!) to make it all work for our family; to help us ALL cope better. Both Brett and I had been trying to play lots with them, read aloud to them, hang out with them and yet it felt like we were still hitting brick wall after brick wall! Don't get me wrong, they are great kids but I knew that God wanted to deal just as much with MY levels of anger and impatience as he was wanting to allow the kids a breather and all of us a refresher!

Oh help please Lord I cried out last week! I seriously need things to change!

So one morning last week, He put an idea into my head when I awoke early to feed bubba.

Why not go to Sydney and really give the kids a day of fun? Bomb + overwhelm them with fun!!! I mentioned the idea to Brett but as I'd only had 4 hours sleep, he thought it wasn't right that i go on my own (we live about 2 hours from Sydney which is a fair amount of driving when you are tired!). He was dealing with the flu and said that he would like a day off too. So 40 minutes later, we had left the house for the day! Not bad considering we had to make pasta boxes with salad for all of us, safe morning and afternoon tea snacks, pack a nappy bag and get all the kids breakfast-ed and dressed! Great team effort :)

So off we went. Now the day was not without its moments but there were only a couple and man that makes a difference hey! We ended up at the Powerhouse Museum for a couple of hours letting the kids enjoy some hands on experiences...
listening...

looking...

experiencing...riding...

playing...
learning...

Then it was off across the bridge...We were going to let them hang out at Luna Park for the first time but when we got down there it was closed for the day. One child could not cope at all with this but them's the breaks sometimes. God wants to make this family more resilliant i can tell!!!So instead we walked around under the bridge for a while watching ferries in the harbour and spotting commorants in the water...
My beautiful hubby...having fun and enjoying each other...taking in the sights of the harbour...even Zippi enjoyed herself...

So anyway, just thought I would share that sometimes we have found it helpful to really break a cycle of bleh with some fun bombing. Other things we've done 'just for fun' recently include....(see previous post!) taking dinner to the lake, taking turns for sleep outs in the tent, family bike riding morning, going out to a cafe for baby cino's, family waterfight arvo, painting together, singing to the cd of Sound of Music (thanks Aunty Rach!), hanging out by the river and getting pupu (grandfather) to teach kids to fish, going together to watch a basketball game...
How about you? Do you have a heart for fun? Does it help you to just let loose once in a while and be abandoned in your lavish love for your kids in this way? Would love it if you could share things you have done to cultivate a sense of fun in your home too! Blog about it, if you like, then fill in your details in the Mr Linky box below to share with us :) PLEASE don't feel like you have to be 'perfect' to participate - I'M SO NOT! There IS NO PERFECT! All this is about is encouraging one another as we disciple our children's hearts today for tomorrow.

Well more another time but 5 things I am thankful for before I jet...
1. Seeing some amazing people coming to know Jesus right here in our home - the most fun and exciting thing in the world!!!
2. Perseverance
3. God's inspirational thoughts and ideas He so lovingly shares with me to help me out :)
4. The arrival of Brad and Nomes' beautiful daughter Ava!
5. De-worming tablets. Yes. Eeeeew!
Love Lus x
(Ps Less than 10 days that I see both Anth (arriving from Wales shortly!!!) and one of my sisters!!! Wooohoooooooo!)

5 comments:

singing mama said...

Good morning Lovly Lusi :)
I so LOVE your have a heart series and I so WANT to participate, but everytime you do a post, it seems that there are things going on in our lives and that I feel the need to draw back into Gods arms and just wait quietly on Him. Just wanted to let you know that I think this series is sooo awesome and I hope that soon I will be able to join in the posting and sharing too!
I love you heart for family, and for God.
Luv Donna

lusi said...

Hi beautiful Donna :)
Thanks for your encouraging comment and I totally understand the need to press into Him regardless of what is going on around us. Good stuff mate :)
Sending my love to you and your fam and hoping we can catch up soon.
Love Lus x

Peta said...

Im glad you had a great day :).... and today was the perfect day for me to read this too... not something I can blog about as right now i am very flat - very frustrated with my children...I am sure this time of the year is very overstimuating for them - but boy oh boy they are testing my patients!!! having a few days in the mountains for family Christmas celebrations - fun, noisy and hard all at the same time....My main frustration is that I try to do special things with the kids-and they have great fun - but 1hr later they are fighting or giving me attitude - is it worth it? I always ask.... spose thats part of being a parent... have a GREAT day :)

lusi said...

'My main frustration is that I try to do special things with the kids-and they have great fun - but 1hr later they are fighting or giving me attitude - is it worth it? I always ask.... spose thats part of being a parent... '

I know that feeling so well mate and yet i think it is our job to continually persevere with loving them despite their lack of appreciation. I'm reminded that this is how God must have felt with us; He sent us Jesus yet we continued to miss seeing the gift that He had given us. Its a good reminder to me that He does know all the pain and trials I go through since he's gone through them himself. It gives me confidence that I can trust him to help me through it and help my kids to see my continual love for them. I'm with you mate, it is a tough thing to deal with.
Have you got time to catch up while you are in the mountains? When are you heading home? xox

Miss cath said...

Lusi I so know what you mean when you just need a day of laughs and a day of un-normal stuff! My kids are just hitting their teens and boy is that fun!!! I do tend to be a bit strict and can be yelly-mum a lot more often than I would like. When things get really bad we tend to pack a picnic and go walking. we all love waterfalls and bushwalking and we live in a gorgeous area to do that.
Some of the "home" things we do mainly involve me relaxing a little (not so easy) letting the kids be kids and not panicing about the details. the most fun we had recently was when we all got involved in a massive mud fight in our backyard - lots of squeals, screams and laughter and then just hosed everyone off after. Sometimes it is hard to tell who has the most fun - the kids or the adults (especially my DH)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin