Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Paint

Yesterday for our crafternoon rhythm we made paint :)
I'd seen the recipe on Pinterest somewhere and had jotted it down.
I'd bought a yoghurt maker from Aldi that we tried to get to work several times....unsuccessfully! So instead we used the base to try and sprout beans and the lovely glass jars...well they were begging to be used to something a little pretty ;)

So doubling the original recipe, we came up the recipe above.

In went the cornflour, salt and sugar before the boys measured out the 4 cups of water...



...in goes the water...


...reading books while waiting is optional lol....


Liji getting in and having a stir...
{um love his little flour hand print on his behind! too cute!}


...it wasn't hot enough so we changed hot plates, increased the heat, kept stirring and all of a sudden it started to thicken!


Gooey!


We found and cleaned the jars...


...the kiddos added food colouring to their liking....



...and then whacked it into a jar...


Baby Zeeki who had refused to sleep most of the day, sat for about 2 mins happily eating his rusk before getting grumpy while we finished up putting them in jars!


Zippi decided she just couldn't wait to use some and made a lovely painting using left over paint that wouldn't fit into the jars...


Ah lovely thick globules of paint like this take me back to my own childhood preschool days!


Final step? Get as much of the paint as you can in your mouth, on your hands and your princess costume with white shirt... :-D


...and think pensively about how lovely your artwork looks.... lol!


So there you have it!
Our verdict? A great fun and creative activity that doesn't cost the earth.
Gotta love that ;)
More to come another time,
Lus x

7 comments:

Sumara said...

that is so cool!

oh my, your babies are beautiful! we have to catch up SOON. <3

Channi said...

awesome! we'll have to give this a go too!

love to you all :)

ReneeK said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Super easy. My kids would love this.
Thanks

Kylie said...

Love this idea! Would be great for the kids to make and sell at our homeschoolers mini fair :-)

Beautifully Veiled said...

LOVE IT!!! Thankfully I still have a couple that qualify as "littles", who will love this recipe!!! And I love the handprints on the bottom too! So sweet! (I'm afraid it doesn't look quite so sweet on mine....)

Dannii said...

Oh Lusi thanks for sharing! I would love to make this for my little cherubs and would be a good gift idea too! Just curious, how well does it wash out of clothes?

Off to pin it to my pinterest board now!

Anonymous said...

I have lots of happy memories of painting as a child and also seeing my own daughter enjoy painting too (she loves to be creative).

These photos are great, your children are beautiful. I can't believe how fast they are all growing up.

Have a fun and safe day.

From Susan McGuire (smiles1965) :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin