Monday, April 4, 2011

Family Planner Folder Challenge and Blog Hop

Well, if you are familiar with FLYLADY, I'm sure you will also be familiar with her control journal.
Well, I've been using this idea for the past couple of years (ours is a little more casual and relaxed) and we call ours
'The Family Planner'.




Now, it has been working really well except alot has changed in our family and I really need to update it and give it some more love and care.

What is it?

The Family Planner is a place to store all our info that helps the family run efficiently! It is the place where you store your 'i'm gonna need that!' document really soon and NOT lose it!

Some of the tabs I had in there in the past were:

Emergency Contact Information
Asthma Plan
Quick Menu Ideas
Take-Away Menus
Medical Forms
Library Book List (the receipt you get when you've borrowed that tells you how many books and when they are due back)
Ideas for Self-Sufficiency
Current Vouchers
Kids Reward Chart Vouchers to Redeem
Autism Support Contacts

But like I said, alot has changed in the past couple of years and I've needed our Family Planner to change as our needs have...cough cough....except I just haven't done it.

Now I have three folders instead of just one. They are stored together on a little shelf in a kitchen cupboard.

Each one has a purpose:

1. Family Planner (the same idea as above just actually organised better).
2. Contacts Folder (Like our address book basically)
3. Family Recipe Planner

At the moment, they are ALL in serious need of a makeover!
And I plan to get on top of this before the baby comes - well and truly before the baby comes. But realistically, I know I can only do this in stages.

So here I am throwing down the proverbial gauntlet!

I was wondering if anyone else wanted to join me in making/updating their own Family Planner?
I'll be going slowly step-by-step showing what I am doing and you'll hopefully share your ideas and tips on your own blog too as we go along!

What will you need?

Well, depending on the needs of your household, you might choose to just have one folder like we did for a number of years that has everything in it.

Or you might be where I am now and decide to have recipes/meal ideas etc in a separate folder, have a famiy planner and have a separate contacts folder.
It's totally up to you!
It will be a little crafty (making the tabs, a cover page for each folder, and whatever else tickles your fancy!) but don't be put off by that - you can use plain dividers you get from the stationery store or be like me and just make your own (and save yourself some bucks too!)

You'll need some plastic sleeves too but you can add to your supply of these as time goes on. No need to rush out and by some!
Then all you'll need after that is to fill it with info!

So what do you do now?

Honestly, having a Family Planner has made our life so much easier over the past few years.
Perhaps that wouldn't work for you and that's totally cool (maybe no one will join in and that's ok too!), but if it sounds like a challenge you'd like to be apart of, then simply mention this challenge in a post on your own blog (you might mention why you want to join in) linking back to this post then add your name to the linky list below and then get ready for the challenges to begin (step-by-step and nice and slowly!!!)








12 comments:

Traci said...

Hi Lusi:) I actually have one of these fellas sitting on my table right at this very moment that I have been beginning to put together, just in case! If the "proverbial" lights ever did go out, it will be good to have one spot to go to, plus it makes life much more organized. It's good to know others are thinking the same.

Blessings, Traci

Enid said...

Hummm I am thinking about it!!
;)
Enid

Daughter to THE King said...

What a GREAT idea Lusi! Mine is in such need of sprucing up as well. I would love to join you and will link up as soon as I post. Thanks for helping us get moving on this as well.

Blessings and Shalom,
~Amy

Anonymous said...

I also have one of these [somewhere] that will need dusting off and reorganising at some stage, just don't think I have the time or energy for it at present, but you have inspired me to at least find it.lol cheers GG

Tara said...

I have one, and I love, love, love, LOVE it. :)

Peterson Party said...

I've had this on my list for months now! Maybe this will be the motivation I need to actually get it done instead of just thinking about it :)

Mommy Set Free said...

This is a wonderful idea. I have never seen Fly Lady's version, but I am a notebook "nut". I love them! I use them for everything! Would it be OK if I share from what I have done? This would be good to help me make changes (it is always an growing changing process). Mine will not be very creative or pretty, but they are organized. (OH HOW I LOVE LOVE LOVE to be organized!) So my notebooks are all about the "function". ;-)

How long do you plan on running this series??

lusi said...

Hi everyone!
Thanks for your comments so far - nice to know others like these kind of things too.
No pressure to join in; just see how you go as we travel along.

Traci - I liked what you said about if 'the lights ever go out' that a folder like this would be handy! When I was quite ill a couple of years back, this folder came in so hand because I knew all the info was in there and that the house could still keep running regardless of whether I was there or not! My parents or inlaws or hubby could find all the important info they needed in one spot. Hope you might share what you have got happening at your place if you get a chance!

Amy, Cara, Enid...just feel free to jump in but as I said - no pressure!

Pamela, please share what you are using - that would be great! I'm not really starting from scratch either but am taking this time to update and get back on top of it all! Can't wait for your shares! I'll be running this for a while (hmmm no time limit as yet) so just jump in whenever you want!

Love to everyone,
Lus x

lusi said...

Oh and forgot to say, lol G, glad I inspired you to find it and dust yours off!!!!
Love Lus x

singing mama said...

Hey lovely Lusi,
I have been thinking I will do this too :) just wanna give myself a week to rest after these hectic weeks. It's more than high time I got our family planner organised!!!
Luv Donna

lusi said...

Excellent Donna! Yes, rest first!!!

And everyone else, stay tuned - first prompt coming up this week!

Love Lus x

Traci said...

Lusi, I'm so bummed I missed it, I just got my post up...maybe I'll catch it next time. I'll have some time to make them look pretty:)

Everyone did such a nice job!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin