Thanks to JILLIAN I won a great little homeschooling tool called SPELL QUIZZER. It's cool! You record your own voice to make spelling lists up or you use the ones they already have there. Liji + Ethi have just started reading and writing using the LEM PHONICS program which is MEGA exciting for us to see! I've noticed that Stass is a real aural learner much more than i ever thought actually so its good for her too :)
We just began reading Swiss Family Robinson as our new family read-a-loud but then the Little House on the Prairie 9 book set arrived. Brett bought this as an encouragement gift to Stass since she's adjusted really well to homeschool this year, is trying really hard in helping out around home and just b/c she LOVES them so much! So now we are reading the first book as well at night as a second family read-a-loud.
I really treasure reading aloud to the kids even though it can be hard work to get them to listen sometimes. It builds into our relationships by showing them they are worth the time to take to sit down, be still together and go on fun literary journeys. I love it even more when Brett reads aloud to us all. And i really love it that the kids talk about the stories and things we are learning about in books in our REAL life too.
We're learning as we go but here are somethings I've tried this year that have worked so far:
* patience from me!
* understanding that kids want to ask questions + that is part of their learning!!!
* letting the kids play with blocks silently while i read + then share their 'creations' with us all at the end :)
* supplying the kids with paper + textas/pencils to use while i read + they can draw something about the story we are reading
* being consistent with disciplining them with time away from the story (which they do not like!!!) as soon as they speak (when not asking a question) when i am reading
* snuggling up with blankets over us while i read on the big lounge + sometimes having some sweet snacks to enjoy together during reading time
* if i'm going to read for a while i try and remember to ask the kids if they need to use the bathroom first to eliminate how many times i hear 'but i need to go mum!!!' lol :)
* did i mention patience from me?!!!
5 things I am thankful for today:
1. That my new friend who's daughter was here today and broke her hand in two places :( was able to get immediate attention and is able to be operated on tomorrow. So glad they have been gracious too despite being devestated of course as anyone would be.
2. Jillian's generous giveaway gift
3. Relaxing on the lounge with Brett before going to bed
4. Zippi's long sleep early tonight
5. The way God orchestrates the meetings of people in our little community + how i just 'bumped' into two friends tonight. His timing is incredible :)