Saturday, May 16, 2009

"Be still and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth".
Psalm 46:10

Are you like me and often forget to just BE STILL and know that He is who He is - GOD of the heavens, the nations and the earth?

In the midst of a very busy life, it is easy to get sidetracked, easy to put God on the backburner and just 'do what i need to do'. But the thing I always find about that, is that when I put God second, i don't get the things done that I need to get done anyway. And on the odd occassion that I've gotten through alot, despite leaving God out of the mix, there always seems to be a sad feeling of lacking at the end of the day anyway; a real sense of something missing and me falling short.

And its often then that I think about Him who created my day and remember that I haven't allowed him to sit in the proper place He deserves - in the first place as my first love. It's then that I tell him that and ask for His help to love him with all my heart.

Maybe you don't suffer from the Mary-Martha syndrome that I do. You can read about these two sisters HERE.
Martha struggled.
She was 'distracted' by the doing-stuff that she thought was really important.
Then she became indignant and challenged Jesus saying, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" All she could do was appeal to Jesus. I can imagine myself doing the same thing if I saw my sister just sitting at the feet of Jesus worshipping. I'm sure I would be inclined to say, "um hello Jesus - can you see how hard I'm working right now and she's doing nothing? She's bludging! You tell her to DO something!"

But Jesus didn't vinidate her. Jesus didn't want Mary to DO something but He did want Martha to BE something - to BE still at His feet.
I'm always challenged when I read Jesus' reply.
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Ouch.

What I see in this is that in Martha trying to make Jesus say that she is right, she is actually attempting to steal away Mary's joy and delight in Him. He says that it will 'not be taken away' from Mary.

Of course, work still needs to be done. I like to keep an orderly home because not only does my husband appreciate it, it helps me stay organised and live in a less chaotic manner. But the problem is always when I choose this FIRST over choosing to BE STILL with my Lord. Being still is a literal thing as well as a conscious thing I think.

I once read a quote by BROTHER LAWRENCE who said something like,

“The time of business does not differ with me from the time of prayer; and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great a tranquility".


The attitude of my heart towards work is where I can see Mary and Martha meet. And that is what the Lord is working on in me at the moment; being aware of being IN His presence no matter what I'm doing; whether I'm cleaning, showering, breastfeeding, reading to the kids.
I could say that I am working on 'being still' more often but that would imply that I'm able to achieve that by my own efforts when in reality, all I can do is humble myself before my wonderful God and ask Him to enable me to rest more in Him. And He can do it. And He is doing it. And I am grateful that He is showing me how.

Just some thoughts for this lovely Sunday morning. I wonder if you would like to share your thoughts with me on this topic? I'd love to hear your heart!

5 things I am thankful for to the Lord of all today:
1. The kids having a sleepover with their grandparents :)
2. Ellie and Meng being here yesterday; Ellie so generously cooking a most delicious lunch for us all so that we could just sit and share and be together. Miss Meng already!
3. How refreshing it is to be still in the Lord's presence
4. Warm sweet black tea with a slice of lemon and a dash of honey
5. Brett making some tough decisions this week; I respect him so much for what he has done and how he is trusting the Lord through it all despite it not being an easy thing.


Love and blessings,

7 comments:

Christine said...

Hi Lus,

It's been lovely to watch through your blog how little Zippi is settling in and how you are all adjusting to 4 little ones :)Jono and I are really interested in the baby elimination control thing..brilliant!

In regards to this post, please beware of Catholic mystisism. Don't forget that the catholic Jesus is 'another Jesus' in the form of the eurcharist. Hence the reason why catholisism is a works based religion unto justification. Essentially, this is what Brother Lawrence held to. The link to wiki attests to this... "he sought a place where he could suffer for his failures. He thus entered the Discalced Carmelite monastery in Paris as Brother Lawrence." Please see this link http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/brotherlawrence.htm

Love,

Christine

Anonymous said...

Hi Lus

I had to smile at your last two posts....so relevant to my life at the moment. I feel like I am in the eye of the storm at present, not spinning so much now, but a lot is spinning around me. I hope that when I pass through the otherside it will have a peaceful outcome (see blog for full details).

It is so important, that amongst all the turmoil in our lives to be "in the moment" and remember what is truly important to us and sometimes we really do need to "be still"

Thanks for sharing....as always....you blog always has some message for me.

Much love to you all

Kaz :)

jodie said...

hi lusi,
i can so definitely relate to your thoughts...i know i have struggled (and continue to!) with the whole Mary/Martha thing having had my 6 kiddies in 8 years...trying to maintain that balance is so hard at times...but i know the days where i hit the floor running are never the best...for me giving God the first hour of the day is so refreshing and i feel energised for the day.My youngest is 2 now so it is much easier to get up early to spend that time with God but i always found it much harder when they were babies.During those times it was just whenever i could grab it...while breastfeeding or even in the toilet or shower LOL!

Rebecca Vavic said...

Thank you for sharing your heart.
You are an inspiration and a joy.
Hugs
Bxo

Anonymous said...

Ur such a yummy mummy!!!! I love u to pieces & thank the Lord for u!
I love the way you live ur life..aiming to only please God, not man. I love u for ur encouragement & also for the fact that u truly desire to glorify & lift up the sweet name of our Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ. Ur such a godly woman & you truly radiate the inner beauty we are called to pursue, in His Word :-)
Love you girl,
Christina xxxxx

lusi said...

Hi Christine,
EC is working really well for us right now and I'm really glad my friend showed me how it can be done :) Well worth the extra effort I reckon!
I am aware of 'Catholic mysticism' having grown up in the Catholic faith. I am also aware of many professing Catholics who deeply love the Lord and His Word and who do not believe that they are saved by works. And I won't sit in judgement of their salvation, that is the Lord's job not mine as He is the only one who can see into the heart of man.
As for the post I wonder if perhaps you didn't realise why I was pointing to brother lawrence in the first place. I mentioned him because i was encouraged by the way he met with the Lord and rested in His presence no matter what he was doing; his heart was to meet with the Lord and that is my heart too.
God bless you,
Lusi x

Christine said...

Hi Lus,
I've been at an esteddford for a couple of days with the kids...ran into Ben and Reb there which was a surprise! I hear they have moved to Young...only 25mins from us.

I do understand why you pointed to Brother Lawrence in context of your post theme, but my point is why would you direct people to follow the example of a catholic?

You wrote,

"I am also aware of many professing Catholics who deeply love the Lord and His Word and who do not believe that they are saved by works."

Actually, you don't; the reason why I can say this is because the catholic church states "If anyone says that the sinner is justified by faith alone..., let him be anathema." Therefore, according to the catholic church, they are not catholics. If they truely believe in justification by grace through faith, that it is not of ourselves, then they are in fact confused Christians in a thoroughly false system. It is therefore up to us, as their brothers and sisters in Christ, to help them by informing them, so that they will come out of her. "For My people are DESTROYED for lack of knowledge". (Hosea 4:6)

I highly recommend this article on the topic.

http://pro-gospel.org/x2/content/view/32/1/

Catholics, like Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, will quote the Word of God, and the Word is truth. But their gospel is false. As Paul says, if anyone comes to you preaching another gospel, let him be an anathema.(Galatians 1:9)

You invited me to share my thoughts, and this is what I thought :)

Christine

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin