Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sewing Efforts, Low Salicylate Meals, And other Random Family Things...

Minestrone Soup and Garlic Bread is fast becoming a family fave around here; not just because it tastes great (and is really healthy!!!) but because it is super easy to prepare. It was on the menu recently and I thought I might share it with you!







SOUP:
1. In a large saucepan, dump in a heaped teaspoon of minced garlic.
2. Add a chopped leek.
3. Add 3 carrots (round slice).
4. Add a can or two of red kidney beans.
5. Add a can of chick peas.
6. Add a can of white butter beans.
7. Add a can of brown lentils.
8. Pour in 500ml of beef stock (I use Massel's but it is not completely 'safe'. It just happens that our kids can tolerate this amount so we are ok to use it but you may need to use authentic stock if you have salicylate/amine issues).
9. Pour in about the same amount of water (i usually put in a little extra).
10. Bring it to the boil and let it boil for a couple of minutes then turn down to simmer. I usually let this simmer for about an hour in which time the carrots are nice and soft.
11. Add some celery. I put it in towards the end of the cooking process so it doesn't go all manky(official cooking term in the Austin kitchen!) and brown.
12. Sometimes, just to thicken the soup, I add a quarter box of cous cous (raw) straight into the soup mix before i take it off the stove. The kids love cous cous in it! Tonight though I'm cooking up some rice and will lay that down in the base of each bowl before I serve the soup.

Oh and I add some worchestershire sauce on mine once i've served up the kids', just for a little added flavour :)

GARLIC BREAD:



1. While the soup is cooking, take 250g (or more) of Nuttelex (or marg is you are ok with it!) and to this add about 2 teaspoons of minced garlic.
2. Grab a really nice big handful of parsely and chop it (or tear it) finely (or chunky if you like it that way!)
3. Add a little salt for taste if you want.
4. Stir it all together.
5. Heat up your oven and cut up some baguettes into slices.
6. Slather on the garlic/butter mix and pop the bread slices into the oven.

Hope this might be helpful to someone!
Enjoy :)


Ok ...so remember I said that I was going to really have a go at this whole sewing thing? Well I was very motivated after seeing my lovely and encouraging friend Karel's bag at church last week. It was a very funky bag that she had made from a pair of jeans!!! Talk about one creative woman!
I thought it was a sensational idea and she assured me it was easy to make. She does not lie! THANK YOU KAREL for inspiring me (creatively, in the home and spiritually too!). I share this with you bloggers but give full creative credit to my mate Kreative Karel!

So anyway, I took her advice and purchased a $2 pair of stretch jeans from the op shop this week size 8.

Here are the jeans before the hack...



I began by chopping off the legs just around the crotch area so that the back pockets were showing and sewed straight across the bottom to join it up. I sewed over it a couple of times to reinforce it. I used one of the cut up legs (trimmed crookedly!) as the strap.


And after I added some beaded leaves (which my mil kindly picked up from the op shop) and a crocheted flower (which i think came from one of Danielle Quarmby's QT kits?) and some torn fabric strips which i just added as little ties, this is what it ended up looking like...


And the best part is that this bag is SUPER COMFY to wear (and really quick to whip up to!)! I plan on making another but with a much longer strap so i can weart it like the way i love to wear all my bags; over my shoulder and across my chest so it is like a satchel i guess. But that will be for another time!

The other thing I wanted to share sewing wise was the bag I mentioned I made for my friend Lori's Bible Trivia card pack. We love these cards and I kept telling her that I would make a felt bag (which of course would have been held together with staples for those of you who may be familiar with my scrapping style!) However, when I got my new sewing machine, I thought it would be nice to attempt a bag on the machine for these cards. My lovely friend Karen brought around this great lady bird material (which i knew Lori would love) and after several attempts, broken needles and you tube tutorials, I made this little pouch!


Look - a button hole! lol :) Thanks to the 'you tube' ladies for the great tutorials i watched to help me learn how to do this!


And of course Lori loved it! I love her!

Some other snaps from around our place...

The boys asked to do craft outside the other day and carried some supplies out there till it got too windy. Liji asked how to write our friend's name (the lovely Elijah Stephen) and so I coached him through how to form them. He drew a picture of him and wrote his own name too. Ethi drew too.
About a month ago I posted the recipe for chicken schnitzel that we use but also added the disclaimer about the not-being-so-healthy-for-us thing. I tried a new subsititute last night for the chips and used these Rice Crumbs below (chemical free) and they tasted so delicious! It is now our new favourite chicken schnitzel recipe! I purchased this for i think about $5 from Coles in the health food section and i only used a quarter to a half a pack on crumbing 1kg of chicken tenderloins.

Brett cooked this scrummy brekky for the two of us this morning...


thanks baby it was delish! Love you :)

And the kids enjoyed meeting this little guy this arvo...


who got rather friendly rather quickly!...



These flowers - the colours, patterns and mixes of texture - show me so much about what an amazing artist God ! love that these are in our backyard :)
Psalm 25 was shared at church this morning and it is one of my favourites. I thought i would share it here as well. I pray God speaks to you through His Words too.
Psalm 25 of David (New International Version) Pasted from Bible Gateway.com
1[a] To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul;
2 in you I trust, O my God.
Do not let me be put to shame,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.
3 No one whose hope is in you
will ever be put to shame,
but they will be put to shame
who are treacherous without excuse.
4 Show me your ways, O LORD,
teach me your paths;
5 guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.
6 Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love,
for they are from of old.
7 Remember not the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
for you are good, O LORD.
8 Good and upright is the LORD;
therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.
9 He guides the humble in what is right
and teaches them his way.
10 All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful
for those who keep the demands of his covenant.
11 For the sake of your name, O LORD,
forgive my iniquity, though it is great.
12 Who, then, is the man that fears the LORD ?
He will instruct him in the way chosen for him.
13 He will spend his days in prosperity,
and his descendants will inherit the land.
14 The LORD confides in those who fear him;
he makes his covenant known to them.
15 My eyes are ever on the LORD,
for only he will release my feet from the snare.
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.
17 The troubles of my heart have multiplied;
free me from my anguish.
18 Look upon my affliction and my distress
and take away all my sins.
19 See how my enemies have increased
and how fiercely they hate me!
20 Guard my life and rescue me;
let me not be put to shame,
for I take refuge in you.
21 May integrity and uprightness protect me,
because my hope is in you.
22 Redeem Israel, O God,
from all their troubles!
5 things I am thankful to the Lord for:
1. Teaching the kids how to play Uno yesterday as a family
2. Re reading through lots of Liji's autism diagnostic reports and seeing just how far the Lord has brought him (and us!) in such a short amount of time. Miracles right there :)
3. Being able to create stuff with my hands
4. Date night with Brett
5. God's mighty compassion and love.
Love to you,
Lus x

1 comment:

Gayle Smith said...

Cool bag Lusi! I wish I hadn't have thrown out all of those jeans a few months back now.
Not sure about that soup tough...looks a bit healthy for me...lol...
Thanks for your comment..Love you

Oh and thanks for your email about my song..I only found it when I got back from holidasy...you are beautiful.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin